Why not limit car's top speed?

Yes.

I race, and we don't even have brake or hazard lights.

I've done it about half a dozen times on the track and once on the M1 when an Alfa Romeo had "a bit of an issue" with it's Selespeed gearbox.

You race cars that don't have brake lights?

Comparing being on a track to being on the M1 is ludicrous to be honest. In most cases there will be far less "traffic", it will be much more aware of how you're driving and you can exit the track to either left or right and be out of the flow of traffic immediately.

Are you claiming then now that only people who race and have experienced complete power failures on the track are competent to drive on the motorway?

You race cars that don't have brake lights?

Comparing being on a track to being on the M1 is ludicrous to be honest. In most cases there will be far less "traffic", it will be much more aware of how you're driving and you can exit the track to either left or right and be out of the flow of traffic immediately.

Absolutely! If you race on a track (certainly if you race with an 'amateur' licence) the brake lights must go as must the turn signals and all the other lights and the mirrors. You have to strip the bike/car down to minimums (no glass on the track and no false indications.)

No lights. No mirrors.

(Why would you need mirrors or signalling [including brake lights] aren't you going faster than the guy behind you? - It's up to him to keep out of your way if you're not.)

No glass. Glass can hurt you.

Absolutely! If you race on a track (certainly if you race with an 'amateur' licence) the brake lights must go as must the turn signals and all the other lights and the mirrors. You have to strip the bike/car down to minimums (no glass on the track and no false indications.)

No lights. No mirrors.

(Why would you need mirrors or signalling [including brake lights] aren't you going faster than the guy behind you? - It's up to him to keep out of your way if you're not.)

So why do BTCC cars have headlights brakelights indicators etc ...I think the rules change depending on the sort/class of racing.......

There was a race prepped Exige at the last track day I went to, and it had brake lights and indicators as far as I remember...

Being a track day most cars did and you indicated to show that you'd seen a faster driver come up behind and were making space for him to pass you.

Hang on guys, race cars/bikes must have brake lights.

Safety is as much of an issue on the track as it is on the highway, and I can think of no race series that doesn't require brake lights at scrutineering (they'll even check if you have any cheeky switching to disable the brake lights for the purpose of, ahem, inconveniencing the car behind which is a common trick. . .)

Safety is as much of an issue on the track as it is on the highway, and I can think of no race series that doesn't require brake lights at scrutineering (they'll even check if you have any cheeky switching to disable the brake lights for the purpose of, ahem, inconveniencing the car behind which is a common trick. . .)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules/ew_filemanager/07images/f1/toyota/launch/TF107-rearlow.jpg&imgrefurl=http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-46749.html&h=400&w=600&sz=43&tbnid=l25juzfsr-dt3M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&zoom=1&usg=__xSZkKvGQK-ciwDb3RQ__nj1Rcpk=&docid=jCW-kyma6PXy2M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vyeYULDMCOii0QXBpoDwAQ&ved=0CCUQ9QEwAg&dur=376

No lights. No mirrors.

Odd then that a friend who competed in an MX5 series had a full interior, glass windows and the car was fully MOTed.

Can I ask which race series are you talking about? Genuine question, I'm not being funny.

Nonsense.

With the exception of a couple of production based classes (Touring Cars being one, I believe), no race cars or bikes have brake lights.

In fact the eligibility rules for production bike racing specifically state that they MUST be disconnected.

See Item 18 on page 4 here:

http://www.crmc.co.uk/index_htm_files/Production-Racing-Information-Pack.pdf

Rupert_Baehr: Cars and Formula 1 sidecars have mirrors, bikes do not, but they must be made of shatter-proof plastic, not glass.

Just checked my vids and photos from 07 October 2012 (spent day at Silverstone for BTCC, at Brooklands so well-placed to see cars braking), and all series (EDIT: except Formula renaults) have fully-functional brake lights. BTCC cars, 911s, Ginettas, Clios, etc.

Can post photobucket links for the doubters, but it might take a while to upload 720p vids. Here's one from the lot anyway.

Archived