Why not limit car's top speed?

I think (from watching Top Gear) that the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit. I wonder how many people drive on there at excessively high speeds, or whether they stick to a speed they are comfortable and feel safe and in control of their vehicle?

You didn't think, you didn't listen and you didn't bother to try to understand.

Will that do for a starting point?

If you want to tell other people about driving in Germany, do you not think that it might be a good idea to learn a bit before you open your mouth?

Yes, I'm rude. I'm bloody rude. I'm bloody rude because I'm fed up with picking up the bits from totally avoidable accidents (search through this forum and you'll find what I'm bitching about.)

For now, Cyclone, for now...Unless relevant EU privacy laws/EUHRC kick in, I'm predicting smartphones to be contractually imposed by insurers (with relevant clauses for it to be always-on if you're in the car) for purposes of insurance validity (switch it off = you're in breach of contract = insurer doesn't pay) within 5 to 10 years. Basically, for every driver on the move to have an always-on black box/tachograph/etc. No need to retrofit older cars, no need to adapt the road network, little to no cost to insurers = best-fit solution for powers-that-be.

Remember you heard it here ;)

I think it's unlikely. The smart phone bit at least.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the onboard computer didn't do more monitoring and reporting than it already does. But given that there are at least 4 different incompatible types of smartphone, that not everyone has them, that the batteries can die quite quickly, that they can be lost, forgotten, stolen or just left at home and that the consumer has complete control over them.

For all those reasons they will never be a legislated way of monitoring what a car is doing, nor a valid contractural term.

I think it's unlikely. The smart phone bit at least.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the onboard computer didn't do more monitoring and reporting than it already does. But given that there are at least 4 different incompatible types of smartphone, that not everyone has them, that the batteries can die quite quickly, that they can be lost, forgotten, stolen or just left at home and that the consumer has complete control over them.

For all those reasons they will never be a legislated way of monitoring what a car is doing, nor a valid contractural term.

Mobile OS type is a non-point, as an app can be adapted to Android and iOS just the same - e.g. as already used by Ingenie for feeding blackbox data back to the driver.

Anyway...your opinion, Cyclone. Just remember my post in years to come, is all ;)

You didn't think, you didn't listen and you didn't bother to try to understand.

Will that do for a starting point?

If you want to tell other people about driving in Germany, do you not think that it might be a good idea to learn a bit before you open your mouth?

Yes, I'm rude. I'm bloody rude. I'm bloody rude because I'm fed up with picking up the bits from totally avoidable accidents (search through this forum and you'll find what I'm bitching about.)

Your not rude, your just boring, all your post are long winded. :gag:

Assuming it was technically possible, why don't we fit all cars with automatic speed limiters, to make it impossible to exceed the speed limit and then make it an offence to disable one or drive without one?

It would probably be possible to raise the limits slightly, if you knew that no one could exceed that upper limit. Say 80 on the Motorway.

Anyone found exceeding it or with a faulty limiter it banned, car destroyed.

Why not?

Cars have a speed limiter already.

Its called the driver.

I don't see the point in limiting a cars speed anyway. If you're in a 30mph zone, you can be just as dangerous driving under 30mph. Same goes for motorway driving. It's the planks behind the wheel that cause the problems.

As most accidents occur under the speed limit I think you're right..

Archived