Why not limit car's top speed?

In years to come sensors will be built into the road network and your car will be fitted with the gizmos' and your speed will automatically be adjusted to the conditions at the time,that can't be a bad thing looking at the standard of driving today.

You're joking, they can't even afford to mend the potholes.

almost every new car is speed limited anyway at ecu level to avoid damage to the engine.

plus LOTS of company cars are being ecu limited. i bought a van from the Post office and it was ecu limited to 70mph. it cost me to get the limit removed with a remap.

http://vantuner.co.uk/limiter-removal/ its a growing business removing limits.

now as the company car market is the biggest car buying market in the Uk that means that lots of people buying used cars will at some point buy one that has been a company car. dont be surprised to find there's a limit on these. i got a heck of a shock when i got to 70 in my combo van and the fuel pump stopped pumping!

I can not undrestand car makers developing these high speed engine, I should think that a veh with a max of 100 mph is quiet fast enough for anye one but they seem obbsessed with stating how fast a vehicle can go and how fast it can obtain 60 mph , and one if the worst culprits for advising speed is the TOP GEAR PRESENTERS THATS ALL THEY SEEM INTERESTED IN.

You didn't think, you didn't listen and you didn't bother to try to understand.

Will that do for a starting point?

If you want to tell other people about driving in Germany, do you not think that it might be a good idea to learn a bit before you open your mouth?

Yes, I'm rude. I'm bloody rude. I'm bloody rude because I'm fed up with picking up the bits from totally avoidable accidents (search through this forum and you'll find what I'm bitching about.)

I apologise if I stated something that was incorrect, but that is why I said 'I think', I am always happy for people to correct me if I am wrong :)

Mobile OS type is a non-point, as an app can be adapted to Android and iOS just the same - e.g. as already used by Ingenie for feeding blackbox data back to the driver.

Anyway...your opinion, Cyclone. Just remember my post in years to come, is all ;)

I think it's a very important point.

Android is open source, any app that could be written could also be subverted.

And it's not just the OS that differs from device to device, hardware differs as well.

I can not undrestand car makers developing these high speed engine, I should think that a veh with a max of 100 mph is quiet fast enough for anye one but they seem obbsessed with stating how fast a vehicle can go and how fast it can obtain 60 mph , and one if the worst culprits for advising speed is the TOP GEAR PRESENTERS THATS ALL THEY SEEM INTERESTED IN.

Have a think about how the gearing on an engine works...

I think it's a very important point.

Android is open source, any app that could be written could also be subverted.

And it's not just the OS that differs from device to device, hardware differs as well.

Although the code being open or closed source makes no difference to whether or not it can be subverted or hacked etc.

Cars have a speed limiter already.

Its called the driver.

Spot on :D

It makes it a damn site easier to modify and compile a home brew kernel. It might still be possible to hack a closed source system (almost certainly will be), but the level of control and understanding and the ability to modify it will be much reduced.

Archived