Why not limit car's top speed?

Alot of top end cars late limited to 155mph, lorries across the board are limited 56mph. You couldnt limit vehicles to what ever speed zone it is in. The cost would be astronomical.
No, the cost would be negligible if introduced just to new models, so after a few years most cars would be limited.

However, it's just not necessary. Bad driving kills, not speed - otherwise our sensible German cousins wouldn't have unlimited limits on the bahns. And there's nothing wrong with joining the 200mph club either ;)

No, the cost would be negligible if introduced just to new models, so after a few years most cars would be limited.

However, it's just not necessary. Bad driving kills, not speed - otherwise our sensible German cousins wouldn't have unlimited limits on the bahns. And there's nothing wrong with joining the 200mph club either ;)

So if a bad driver hits something at 5mph they will both kill and be killed?

So if a bad driver hits something at 5mph they will both kill and be killed?
I guess if my head was driven over by an HGV mounting the kerb at 5mph I'd end up dead, while a car driving safely on an autobahn at 150 is not going to do me any harm.

And your point is?

It does seem pointless that most cars are capable of reaching speeds which they will never legally be able to demonstrate (unless its on a track of some sort).

I think (from watching Top Gear) that the Autobahn in Germany has no speed limit. I wonder how many people drive on there at excessively high speeds, or whether they stick to a speed they are comfortable and feel safe and in control of their vehicle?

Yes, that has always crossed my mind too

My cruise control has a limiter function on it but I've never used it, I can't really see the point. If I can't manage my speed with my foot and eyes on the speedo then I shouldn't be driving.

There is one very good reason for fitting a speed limiter to a car. If you limit the top speed to say 140 mph. (A speed that 99% of cars capable of exceding never will) Then you can fit tyres capable of working in the wet rather than those that can hold together at 200 mph.

Archived