Any cold caller told you that they "Hope you go to Hell"

I hate the computer cold callers with the 'friendly' mechanical voice. They rarely get past the "Hello...Don't hang..."...Before I've put the phone down.

You can always tell them, because there's always a long pause before the mechanical voice starts.

Now I know the sign I will respond appropriately.I thought the delay was caused by the long distances involved.

Now I know the sign I will respond appropriately.I thought the delay was caused by the long distances involved.

I used to install large (800-1000 seat) autodiallers in a previous life..they used to try and differentiate between an answerphone and a real person by listening...a real person normally answers "Hello....." with a pause..an answer machine usually goes straight through the message without a pause..they also hold the call for a few seconds until it finds a free agent to pass the call through to... for a 1000 seat dialler they'd have maybe 1100 lines dialling at the same time this means that they can usually guarantee that the agents won't be sat twiddling their thumbs while waiting for a call to be answered..

Carefull with these, I had one ring me and and after I told him that I was on TPS and to please not call me again he told me to F off and called me all sorts, I hung up, did 1471 and to my amazement there was a number. Instead of ringing it and demanding to speak to a manager I googled it first... Turns out its a super expensive premium rate number and they just keep you on the line as long as possible. The company was based in Pudsey, Bradford as it happens.

Haha, I had one tell me he didn't call to have an argument ... that was a win in my book :)

So let me get this straight, rightly or wrongly he called you to see if he could sell you something, we all know you're a capitalist and therefore approve of consumerism and what this guy was doing, and you start arguing with him? It sums you up perfectly. The fact you saw it as a win just underlines it.

We have caller ID on the land line. We used to get a lot of junk callers who never left any messages. Now if it's a number we dont recognize we just pick up the phone and then replace it. Being cut off abruptly must annoy the hell out of em :D

Not really. It's normally a computer doing the dialling and, if no bogus Asian calling himself 'Peter' is available, the call is automatically halted.

My husband does the best .. he says "hang on I'll go and get so and so" and just leaves the phone off the hook.

Contrary to popular internet folklore, this is the worst thing you can do. The idiots who work in (manned) call centres are monitored by how many minutes/hours they actually 'talk'/are connected to people. Having the number of somebody who deliberately stays on the line is pure gold dust to them and will lead to even more calls. Ditto overlong recorded messages.

Contrary to popular internet folklore, this is the worst thing you can do. The idiots who work in (manned) call centres are monitored by how many minutes/hours they actually 'talk'/are connected to people. Having the number of somebody who deliberately stays on the line is pure gold dust to them and will lead to even more calls. Ditto overlong recorded messages.

Absolute nonsense!

The 'idiots' are monitored for the number of successful leads they get from the minutes they 'talk'. If they are kept on the line for ages by someone with no intention of buying/signing-up then their success rate will fall.

Even the most idiotic of the 'idiots' would think twice about calling somebody who deliberately stays on the line with no intention of buying as 'pure gold dust'. :loopy:

Absolute nonsense!

The 'idiots' are monitored for the number of successful leads they get from the minutes they 'talk'. If they are kept on the line for ages by someone with no intention of buying/signing-up then their success rate will fall.

Even the most idiotic of the 'idiots' would think twice about calling somebody who deliberately stays on the line with no intention of buying as 'pure gold dust'. :loopy:

As usual Mr Bloke your logic is unassailable!Have you ever considered a role in the legal system?

When it comes to cold callers I usually find the term 'eat s### and die slowly you parasite' gets the message over that I don't want to speak to them. Apparently many overseas call centres are stressful, pressured environments on the staff and they have high suicide rates. Pity.

Archived