Car repair argument.

A customer brought a Vauxhall vectra diesel for me to repair it was not running due to a diesel pump fault, I gave them a price and they agreed for the work to go ahead I got hold of a secondhand pump and fitted it for them I rang them and told them it was a secondhand pump,they agreed to the work going ahead and price,the pump was fitted and the car ran perfectly,I rang them to tell them that it was done and come and collect it,I rang them several times but they did not come for the car, after 3 weeks time they turned up and said that they had bought a new car and would I take my parts out and they would take the car away,I said no not till you have paid for the work and parts you can not take the car sorry but no,so now they have said sell the car and give us the money left for it, trouble is it wants testing soon so it will need money spending on it,would I be braking any laws if I sold it as is and just got my repair money back.

I could get more stripping it down for parts its got a nice leather inertia I could get a good price for plus £200 for the turbo £200 for the cylinder head and £300 for the diesel pump and all the rest to go at, I don't need the log book then.

I could get more stripping it down for parts its got a nice leather inertia I could get a good price for plus £200 for the turbo £200 for the cylinder head and £300 for the diesel pump and all the rest to go at, I don't need the log book then.

You will if you want to get rid of what's left at the end of it all won't you? Genuine question..

You will if you want to get rid of what's left at the end of it all won't you? Genuine question..

Yes your right if the shell goes to the scrap yard I will still need the log book to get rid, I don't think there would be much left though I striped an MG tf down last time and sold just about every thing apart from the shell.

would I be braking any laws if I sold it as is and just got my repair money back.
I don't know the answer for sure, but...you'd be better off agreeing something in writing with the current owners IMHO.

E.g. a quick 1-page 2-paragraph 'contract', in which they agree to you taking possession of their car (you get the V5C from them) in payment for your invoice, with an I.O.U clause where you'll pay them £xyz back (e.g. car sale or bits value, minus the part, your labour...and your (inflated ;)) sales commission for doing all the faffing) within so many days after you've got rid.

A customer brought a Vauxhall vectra diesel for me to repair it was not running due to a diesel pump fault, I gave them a price and they agreed for the work to go ahead I got hold of a secondhand pump and fitted it for them I rang them and told them it was a secondhand pump,they agreed to the work going ahead and price,the pump was fitted and the car ran perfectly,I rang them to tell them that it was done and come and collect it,I rang them several times but they did not come for the car, after 3 weeks time they turned up and said that they had bought a new car and would I take my parts out and they would take the car away,I said no not till you have paid for the work and parts you can not take the car sorry but no,so now they have said sell the car and give us the money left for it, trouble is it wants testing soon so it will need money spending on it,would I be braking any laws if I sold it as is and just got my repair money back.

Send them a charge for storage fees, and any additional days.

Archived