Vauhall astra egr valve question

Hi my EGR valve was sticking (AA checked it) so purchased a new one via ebay looks ok ..however fitted the valve and now MIL light now on and wont go off car runs ok ?? my question is if you fit a new EGR valve do you some how have to tell the car you have changed the valve or should it just work ..ps if i disconect the battery leave for 20 mins put the old valve back on mil light goes out biut valve sticks at high revs ..any thoughts :loopy:

ok may take you up on the offer ... ihave a unit that resets MIL lights but it wont plug in to Astra !! its aqdifferent connections

On some cars if you remove the earth lead from the battery for an hour it resets the ECU and clears the MIL light.

Make sure you have the radio code before trying this or your stereo will not work.

Link here to what I mean= http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=88144

We had this problem. New egr valve, then the dpf filter was full of the same gunge. If that turns out to be your problem, find a garage to clean it with a pressurised steam cleaner. It'll cost a fortune to replace like the dealership will want to

As with most cars any fault code that is brought up as a result of something going wrong can be erased with a scanner I bought mine off amazon £25 best money I've ever spent a lot cheaper than going to the dealers,as for the egr just clean it out with thinners

Speaking from experience, the EGR valve will be the tip of the iceberg. Strix has it right when she says that other parts will be full of gunk. The airflow will be all unbalanced, and the new valve will be filthy in no time at all and you'll be back to square one.

I can't speak for Vauxhalls, but if you replace the EGR valve on a Peugeot you have to have to tell the ECU it's had a new valve so it can "learn".

Many many people these days just blank off the EGR valve.

Op hasn't said which Diesel engine its got

1.7, 1.9 8v or 1.9 16v

They all have their own foibles, especially the 1.9 16v Fiat unit. I've never had any issues swapping out the EGR on one of these, clear the code and the car should be happy.

The new EGR, is it new or 2nd hand?

Archived