The Comet in administration thread

Anyway, back onto the topic.

I wont cry for Comet. I'm sad about the job losses obviously, but it is a truly appalling shop. Anywhere that insists on you giving your address to them before they will sell you stuff, deserves to close, in my opinion. (Mail order firms excepted:)).

They also seemed to prefer employing insurance salesmen, rather than people who knew about the electrical products.

I wont cry for Comet. I'm sad about the job losses obviously, but it is a truly appalling shop. Anywhere that insists on you giving your address to them before they will sell you stuff, deserves to close, in my opinion. (Mail order firms excepted:)).

They also seemed to prefer employing insurance salesmen, rather than people who knew about the electrical products.

I once told a Comet salesman that if he carried on fishing for details like that his store would eventually go out of buisness as the public wouldn't stand for it. Seems they might have agreed.

As for Starbucks coffee.... well they will be going the same way.

If there was any reason why Comet have gone under that's got to be it. I haven't bought anything there for years for exactly that reason.

I once told a Comet salesman that if he carried on fishing for details like that his store would eventually go out of buisness as the public wouldn't stand for it. Seems they might have agreed.

As for Starbucks coffee.... well they will be going the same way.

Some time ago, I tried to buy an ipod nano from them.

At the till, I was asked for my postcode. I refused to give it and asked for the manager. He couldn't understand why I didn't want to tell him and insisted that I told him, for the sale to proceed. I refused again and left the shop, whilst the manager and the assistant sniggered at me.

Ten minutes later, I bought the ipod from John Lewis without giving my details to the very polite assistant. It was a tenner cheaper too:)

At the till, I was asked for my postcode. I refused to give it and asked for the manager. He couldn't understand why I didn't want to tell him and insisted that I told him, for the sale to proceed. I refused again and left the shop, whilst the manager and the assistant sniggered at me.

Ten minutes later, I bought the ipod from John Lewis without giving my details to the very polite assistant. It was a tenner cheaper too:)

What comet's around, goes around.

We have a cooker from comet and took out extracare warranty with them till 2016, if they go under does the warranty become worthless?

I feel for the workers, not a good time of year to be facing redundency in the current economic climate.

Had much the same in PC World, but they had already had the money from me, but refused to give me the item. It went round for a short while until I demanded it, and they still refused to give it to me.

It came to head when I said they either give it to me now, or I'd arrest the sales assistant for theft. That seems to work, but it's farcical they will annoy their customers to that extent.

Targetted marketing. If a store finds out from the postcode information they collect that a majority of buyers are coming from certain areas, they will concentrate on shoving their flyers in letterboxes there. Just give them a S5 postcode, the locals like to have plenty of stuff to start fires with.

We have a cooker from comet and took out extracare warranty with them till 2016, if they go under does the warranty become worthless?

I feel for the workers, not a good time of year to be facing redundency in the current economic climate.

those policies are usually provided by third parties, or 'underwritten'. Check your small print

Archived