Were "guests" (non-members) allowed to post in the olden days on SF?

Just having a quick search to see there was already an existing thread on the Derren Brown Apocalypse show/experiment, I came across this post which appears to have been made by a non-member in 2004! Did things used to be different back then? Could you in fact post as a guest on SF?

I feel like I've just discovered cave paintings and stuff! :banana::partyhat::banana:

Just having a quick search to see there was already an existing thread on the Derren Brown Apocalypse show/experiment, I came across this post which appears to have been made by a non-member in 2004! Did things used to be different back then? Could you in fact post as a guest on SF?

I feel like I've just discovered cave paintings and stuff! :banana::partyhat::banana:

I think it applies to people who have now been banned or have left SF?

I seem to recall that you could post as a guest way back when, though the posts were just credited as 'guest' rather than having a username there too.

I think in the case you quote it's due to an account being closed. I can think of at least one other former member whose posts look like that now that particular incarnation has left the building for good. Their posts and usernames can't be searched for.

Some closed accounts don't look or behave like that, though. There must be different behind-the-curtain ways of doing things.

You could post as a guest when SF first started, but as Hecate says, at that time it showed just as 'Guest'.

What you can see there is another outdated policy, which is when users decided to leave the forum and requested that their account was removed then the admins would delete the account, leaving the results you can see from that post.

We no longer do that because it can lead to problems with using the forum search and assorted other issues, so we now just mark accounts as being closed when people wish to show that their account has formally left the forum.

I'm going to close this thread just because the policy is really not up for discussion and the question has been answered.

Archived