Advice needed from social worker please

Hi

My mum has recently taken in my two great nieces after they were removed from my nieces care. I don't think this will be a permanent thing but certainly for the next few months.

They are young children and mum is 70 and on a pension, she is struggling financially with all their daily needs and the sw in charge of the girls case hasnt been very helpful with information or support about what financial help she maybe entitled to.

This is not a Yorkshire case, they are down south. Mum is not the kind of person to make demands on the SW's so I have been trying to google what her financial rights are...cant find anything.

Does anyone know the answer to this ?

Please no sarcastic replies, this is a difficult time for my family and I am simply trying to find some advice for my mum.

Thanks x

We have been told that she is not entitled to the child benefit unless local authority take the care order over or something... Apparently my niece is entitled to keep the cb for now...Ill look at the calc on the giv website, good idea, thanks hon

I suppose she's not their 'legal guardian'

That could make things very difficult

Would it be easier all ways about for her to agree to become their legal guardian, and worry about what happens next when that arrives?

are the parents not obliged to contribute?

Can any other family members contribute? If several were able to chip in, it wouldn't be as much of a hardship

There may be a need to be formally recognised at the prime carers/guardians.

.. and this seems to be affected by the implied lack of permanency.

They should be entitled to Child Tax Credit, possibly Free School Meals/Transport/Trips.

It is possible that the mother is claiming these Benefits/Credits and should be expected to pass them on.

It sounds messy. Sorry.

Messy is an understatement, you guys have told me more in a few mins than the social worker has told my mum in two weeks. We are helping out as we can but truggling ourselves, there are only five of us in the whole family !

I am going to look into all the above, bless you guys x

we were given our nieces to care for as wards of court if thats the right term, many years ago, and the only help we got was one food parcel. We were told that if placed with family, youre expected to care for them free ,when i said we are on a low wage and might struggle, their sw said oh well theyll have to go into care then! well i wasnt having that and they came and lived with us for 5 months. I cant imagine many changes with any financial help since then, but i may be wrong.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

But at the very least, the person caring SHOULD be able to receive the child benefit (according to logic, if not law)

How about ringing childline or the NSPCC? THEY should know all the ins and outs and be acting in the best interest of the children

Archived