Advice needed from social worker please

Hi

My mum has recently taken in my two great nieces after they were removed from my nieces care. I don't think this will be a permanent thing but certainly for the next few months.

They are young children and mum is 70 and on a pension, she is struggling financially with all their daily needs and the sw in charge of the girls case hasnt been very helpful with information or support about what financial help she maybe entitled to.

This is not a Yorkshire case, they are down south. Mum is not the kind of person to make demands on the SW's so I have been trying to google what her financial rights are...cant find anything.

Does anyone know the answer to this ?

Please no sarcastic replies, this is a difficult time for my family and I am simply trying to find some advice for my mum.

Thanks x

The plain fact is...it's the social workers job to provide all of the information in regard to what financial help is feasibly due. Especially (as it sounds) the kids have been removed from their parents. That would have required a social workers decision. If it was in the interests of the kids safety, then that still applies...wherever they have been placed in refuge. If your mom is struggling, then there's a possibility (however unlikely) that they may not be fed and clothed properly if your mom cannot support them financially. The social worker has a duty of care, and can't just dump them with no thought to their welfare. It's up to the social worker to ensure that your mom can clothe and feed them properly!

If your mom has no joy with the current social worker then she has to go above her/him..and tackle his/her boss!...

The plain fact is...it's the social workers job to provide all of the information in regard to what financial help is feasibly due. Especially (as it sounds) the kids have been removed from their parents. That would have required a social workers decision. If it was in the interests of the kids safety, then that still applies...wherever they have been placed in refuge. If your mom is struggling, then there's a possibility (however unlikely) that they may not be fed and clothed properly if your mom cannot support them financially. The social worker has a duty of care, and can't just dump them with no thought to their welfare. It's up to the social worker to ensure that your mom can clothe and feed them properly!

If your mom has no joy with the current social worker then she has to go above her/him..and tackle his/her boss!...

I agree with what PeteMorris says, its up to social worker to either speak to their manager about financial support for your mum or to at least direct her to funding/grant sources. The social worker WILL say they cant help financially, they are trying to save their budgets and time, but your mom will have to get on social workers back constantly im afraid, and like Pete says if you have no joy, either go higher up or ask for new social worker x

Not sure if this is any help xx

http://kinshipcarers.co.uk/Financial-Support.php

HI Guys

Sorry I havnt been ignoring these, my pc wasnt working and the app wasn't posting messages ! *grumble*

I am so grateful to all that have responded with some great advice, all of which is being followed up today. What a fab lot you are, thanks so much.

if they were removed by social services then they have to pay a fostering allownce of £300 a week per child

I'm not sure that applies if they are subsequently 'looked after' by a relative. Which is one of the reasons, it is said 'we always try to involve families, and keep children within a family' (or words to that effect). But as I said social services are ultimately responsible for the children, especially if they have been 'removed' for whatever reason!

Archived