Mother murders son for not learning the Koran quickly enough.

A great many people are indoctrinated with religion,but religion doesn't teach any of its followers to resort to that kind of fanatism,thats obsessive behaviour of the highest degree and the mother must have been unbalanced to resort to such cruelty and conduct that resulted in the death of the child she gave birth to.

Its impossible to imagine what caused such a tragedy to happen,and really its pointless speculating until we hear evidence from the trial.

It may not teach all its followers to resort to that kind of fanaticism but it clearly does teach some to be fanatics.

Convincing an unbalanced individual that a book is more important than a person is what causes it.

If what some people are saying that religion isn't the cause of the tragedy, that the mother must have been mentally ill to do such a thing, where was the husband and what did he do to prevent this happening. It wasn't a one off accident, she regularly beat the poor little boy. Were they both mentally ill or more likely both religious fanatics ???

If what some people are saying that religion isn't the cause of the tragedy, that the mother must have been mentally ill to do such a thing, where was the husband and what did he do to prevent this happening. It wasn't a one off accident, she regularly beat the poor little boy. Were they both mentally ill or more likely both religious fanatics ???

The truth is we don't know. They could both be mentally ill. I think there's a fair chance they both shared a fanatical and flawed devotion to a pretty warped version of Islam. They could be religious fanatics because they are mentally ill. They may be legally sane and simply lack any empathy. There are many possibilities or permutations but the one I find hardest to grasp is the notion that a reasonably balanced and loving couple could be turned to this abhorrent behaviour. It seems much more plausible that an unsound and extreme philosophy found already present fissures in the social and psychological make-up of this couple at some point in their lives and the combination of these factors led to tragedy.

It's all speculation at this point.

I don't think anyone has suggested that only religious fanatics - or theists - murder their children.

Thing is though Janie, theists, on an almost daily basis, are in the news for slaughtering children or adults because of - or for - their beliefs in a deity.

You're just not seeing the same thing for atheists. For example, when was the last time you saw an atheist in the news saying "I wanted my child to be an atheist, and he wasn't learning quick enough so I killed him." or "I thought my child was going to become theist so I shoved pages, from Richard Dawkin's God Delusion, down his throat until he suffocated."

It just doesn't happen.

I just don't accept that its the fault of the religion that causes anyone to commit slaughter of any description,because if that was the case religious people would all be the same.

I just don't accept that its the fault of the religion that causes anyone to commit slaughter of any description,

I think it is partly the cause because of the negatively shown, especially towards disbelief and others, that exists within religious scripture. I think if your whole life revolves around scripture of that nature, you're going to lose all sense of reason: everything that doesn't fit the religious mould will be seen as negative, evil, wrong, detrimental or against god. Naturally, out of fear, hatred or concern, that person is going to try to correct or eliminate the cause of the problem; even if that means punishing or slaughtering others.

because if that was the case religious people would all be the same.

No. Because not all religious people hold beliefs to the same degree - and not all religious people are as willing to go to the same extremes as others.

Yes but a forum isn't representative of all atheists.

Another thing to point out to those who do think only religious fanatics murder their children,check the statistics of parent/ child murders in this Country alone (something like one child murdered every ten days ) its outragious,not to mention all the children and babies who are victims of cruelty,but of course none of those tragedies could ever be blamed on atheists?

My bold=

My post is on about some of the Atheists on here and maybe I should have worded my post better to state this.

There are a couple of Atheists on here who put their point across or engage in discussion respectfully and then there are the ones who just take the opportunity to ridicule/be offensive etc.

My bold=

My post is on about some of the Atheists on here and maybe I should have worded my post better to state this.

There are a couple of Atheists on here who put their point across or engage in discussion respectfully and then there are the ones who just take the opportunity to ridicule/be offensive etc.

Which am I please ?:|

Archived