Ex pats make me laugh.

I like to take a trip back to Sheffield every few years. I have a lot of happy memories of early years there. I generally do a lot of walking, looking at streets and other places I once lived and played in and the people ars still as friendly and down to earth as they always were.

I would never want to move back though. I have no family left there and all the other people I knew have gone. I dont belong to it anymore and it no longer belongs to me.

I'm just an old geezer who wanders around with a head full of memories of long ago.

I like to take a trip back to Sheffield every few years. I have a lot of happy memories of early years there. I generally do a lot of walking, looking at streets and other places I once lived and played in and the people ars still as friendly and down to earth as they always were.

I would never want to move back though. I have no family left there and all the other people I knew have gone. I dont belong to it anymore and it no longer belongs to me.

I'm just an old geezer who wanders around with a head full of memories of long ago.

If I had a quid for every time you've typed that in some form or other I'd retire.

It just seems sad that every time you do it's to answer or justify to some obvious troll that's getting in your knickers.

I haven't been back to Sheffield since 1989. I left the town first at 17 when I joined the Navy. I married a Sheffield girl,, then moved to Cornwall, where my parents and elder brother would also eventually settle. When I lived in Sheffield I loved it. Nights with my cousins dancing at the City Hall, Sundays out on the bike in the Peak District. We came back to Sheffield in 1966 and I worked at Davy Ashmore till I moved to Montreal in 1968. I grew to love every street and boulevard in the 9 years I lived there. Now I love my little bit of New England where I've lived since 1977. My point is that I have an ability and the right to make a home anywhere. If Regatta wants to be a troll, thats OK. But seriously he's not very good at it. He's petulant, like a spoiled child who's had his dummy taken away, and far from funny.

I do get what you mean and don't really understand why ex-pats come onto a city's forum they haven't visited in decades.

Really if their lives are in the new place, get on with it there.

And I'm not having a go at ex-pats, I know there's more to the world than Sheffield, but if I ever do become one myself, I won't be living in the past and visiting this forum and posting thousands of times on it.

I haven't been back to Sheffield since 1989. I left the town first at 17 when I joined the Navy. I married a Sheffield girl,, then moved to Cornwall, where my parents and elder brother would also eventually settle. When I lived in Sheffield I loved it. Nights with my cousins dancing at the City Hall, Sundays out on the bike in the Peak District. We came back to Sheffield in 1966 and I worked at Davy Ashmore till I moved to Montreal in 1968. I grew to love every street and boulevard in the 9 years I lived there. Now I love my little bit of New England where I've lived since 1977. My point is that I have an ability and the right to make a home anywhere. If Regatta wants to be a troll, thats OK. But seriously he's not very good at it. He's petulant, like a spoiled child who's had his dummy taken away, and far from funny.

I beg to differ, he/she's very good at it, reeling you and Harley in every time with your justifications of life's choices.

Ever heard of the term "feeding the troll"? By doing so you give a platform..and by default credence.

I've been accused of being a dole freak but I rarely reply and I would never justify who and what I am..unless I enjoyed justifying.

The title should read "Harley and Buck make me laugh" rather than its present disguise, because you are actually being targeted, otherwise the thread would have been closed down immediately.

I do get what you mean and don't really understand why ex-pats come onto a city's forum they haven't visited in decades.

And I'm not having a go at ex-pats, I know there's more to the world than Sheffield, but if I ever do become one myself, I won't be living in the past and visiting this forum and posting thousands of times on it.

Many Brits are members on American forums, No problem there :huh:

Many Brits are members on American forums, No problem there :huh:

Never said there was, and I wasn't talking about America in particular.

Emigrate to Bulgaria, it doesn't matter where you go, I'm saying if I moved to...Cuba, I'd not spend my life on Sheffield forum.

There are ex-pats who have considerably more posts than actual Sheffielders who have been SF members for longer. I'm not having a go but I think the OP was just wondering why.

Most of the ex pats are getting on in age, they probably don't have a lot of family to relate too. One thing is obvious though is that many contributors to the forum are of equally late age and the consequence of that is history personal to them can be shared.

Just because you're an ex pat and getting on doesn't necessarily mean you've lost all feelings and thoughts for the past.

Archived