Fireworks - who hates them?

I have never particularly enjoyed fireworks, even as a child. As they are basically explosives, I struggle to understand why they are neccesary, when their main aim is to make loud bangs and disturb the peace.

Even the english festival of bonfire night is basically an out dated anti catholic celebration, where the main villan "guy fawkes" was probably an innocent party that played an insignificant role in the periphery of the event, but he just happened to have the most memorable name.

My solution would be to forbid anyone from purchasing commercial fireworks if they are not a holder of any valid firearms certificate.

Although if you go to the trouble of making your own this is fine. Especially as you can make them with common or garden substances which are legal to purchase and posses.

Although if you go to the trouble of making your own this is fine. Especially as you can make them with common or garden substances which are legal to purchase and posses.

You're actually more likely to be flagged for dubious practices for buying said ingredients in enough quantity than you are for buying similar quantities of ready made explosives..

Also it is actually illegal to make your own explosive materials...

There's something ironic about it all really.. especially considering the intended meaning of the 5th :D

I have never particularly enjoyed fireworks, even as a child. As they are basically explosives, I struggle to understand why they are neccesary, when their main aim is to make loud bangs and disturb the peace.

Even the english festival of bonfire night is basically an out dated anti catholic celebration, where the main villan "guy fawkes" was probably an innocent party that played an insignificant role in the periphery of the event, but he just happened to have the most memorable name.

My solution would be to forbid anyone from purchasing commercial fireworks if they are not a holder of any valid firearms certificate.

Couldn't agree more, Muddy.

1) it's money up in smoke (Literally) why don't folks just get a handful of £20 notes and simply set fire to them?

2) you can see fantastic municipal displays at organised events like the one at Don Valley.

3)I also hate hearing the really loud bangs. I hate them even more at daft-o'clock in the morning. (we've had them going off at 1.34, the other night... and later, at around 2 and 3 o'clock.)

Presumably that's when the brain-dead idiots have arrived back from the clubs, tanked up, and decided "Oh I know what's a good idea! I'll let some fireworks off! People will really appreciate me making such a racket at this time of a morning!"

My beautiful Dexter-cat was killed last week, after being hit by a car. At the time the accident happened, there was a massive blast of fireworks went off, and it is my belief that the big blast scared and disoriented him, and he ran into the road.

I do enjoy the fireworks if I can see them though I prefer the organised ones which schools do, however out of consideration for other people and animals they should only be allowed on November 5th

If they are for a celebration then hotels could organise them

I find them boring, used to like the first few when I was a kid until I was about 12...then they all bored me. Can't really think of much worse things I could do of a Monday afternoon and spend 10 minutes watching fireworks exploding in the freezing cold at Don Valley stadium.

Having said that, the kids like it and there are things that I do which other people find annoying like get drunk on a Friday night and afterwards walk through town at 4 in the morning to McDonalds and order 5 McChicken sandwhiches and maybe even catch the first bus home if it was a particularly heavy night, so I guess we have to put up with each other's annoying behaviours if we want to enjoy our own.

You get annoyed at them setting of fireworks, they get annoyed at you mowing the lawn at 10am on a Sunday morning while they're trying to lie in. You get annoyed at mothers who can't control screaming kids on the bus, they get annoyed that you light up near a bench where they're trying to eat.

My point is people do stuff to annoy you, but you do stuff to annoy them back...which might not be explicitly obvious at first.

The lawn mowing example for me is a good one though, but I'm not proposing a law where people can only mow their lawns after 12pm when I'm definitely done laying in.

I used to hate it when people were letting them off four or six weeks before bonfire night but that seems to have changed in the last few years, restrictions on the sale of fireworks presumably.

We always have a Mini Bonfire at 5.30 PM, eat hotdog sausages, beans and baked potatoes in front of the fire then let of a small box of fireworks and a few rockets.

It's great - the garden is transformed for the kids, it becomes a different place (they're only young) ;)

Earlier in the day they help me get the wood through and build the fire, then light the fire, it's a big deal for them - they are involved rather than being entertained at Don Valley Stadium then having to queue up to get out and home with all the rest of the people who all leave at once.

I can sympathise with people who have pets or irresponsible neighbours though!

Archived