Fireworks - who hates them?

Agreed, they should be used responsibly, just like car horns and stereos. I see we aren't considering them just because they are loud and can be used at 0134 though.

My grandmother went in an ambulance Monday night, and my mother went with her. The ambulance driver said that people had been aiming fireworks at them, and with the oxygen and gasses on board it was dangerous for them to go out.

That is an irresponsibility that one can't get with car horns and stereo systems.

I am still firmly of the view that fireworks create more harm than they do pleasure.

You can get that irresponsibility with rocks, maybe we should ban rocks.

From first hand knowledge, there was a stadium full of people at Owlerton and another at Don valley, all of whom presumably get pleasure from fireworks. And most of my neighbours seem to enjoy setting them off from their back gardens.

On the other hand, there are less than 10 posters here who don't like them...

It seems pretty clear that they create more enjoyment than harm.

You can get that irresponsibility with rocks, maybe we should ban rocks.

Rocks don't blow up oxygen tanks. Still though, I couldn't ban them. I don't think legislation is the answer. I just wish people would grow out of this behaviour of playing with explosives for pleasure.

On the other hand, there are less than 10 posters here who don't like them...

An argument ad populum. :)

It seems pretty clear that they create more enjoyment than harm.

It seems pretty clear to me that every year many people are hurt and injured because of fireworks, both by responsible and irresponsible use. They are explosives, and I don't think they should be played with.

I'll join you in a wish that the playing was done responsibly.

Fireworks won't blow up an oxygen cylinder either, unless you stack them around it and brace it all somehow.

Indeed, the popularity is exactly what we are discussing, so considering the numbers of people who enjoy them and don't enjoy them seems to be entirely appropriate.

Most of the fun things in life carry some risk, it's probably psychological.

Indeed, the popularity is exactly what we are discussing, so considering the numbers of people who enjoy them and don't enjoy them seems to be entirely appropriate.

In a case of utility though, numbers are only one factor. The amount of pleasure 100 people get could be minute compared to the amount of pain 1 person suffers from being injured by them. It's impossible to quantify.

I'm drawn on this too, because when I was a child I remember my family had a box of fireworks. I remember playing with sparklers. As I got older though, around my school, there were a group of people who used to aim them at other kids. I learnt not to take certain routes home around November. It was a nice school. ;)

That experience has put me off them completely. My feelings on this are mixed, because I do remember getting enjoyment out of them when I was little. It's just a shame that they're ruined by idiots.

My main complaint, the huge gigantic complaint, can only be setting them off before (and after) Bonfire Night for no reason than to let off fireworks. No act of celebration - no act of tradition. It is purely done for its own purpose.

Speaking personally I love fireworks, as long as its for bonfire night or near to it as it doesn't always fall on a Saturday. I like to see them going off in the sky, I don't buy them or go to displays anymore but I still like to see them.

Plus I know that when BN is over its only 3 days to my birthday & I've always enjoyed that aspect of it. I do agree that the sale should be limited to certain ages 25+, but people will still get hold of them somehow.

I know animals don't like them , we have a Shih Tzu and he doesn't like to go out, when they are going off.

I think fireworks should be sold from 1st to 6th November, then withdrawn from shops not available all year round.

In a case of utility though, numbers are only one factor. The amount of pleasure 100 people get could be minute compared to the amount of pain 1 person suffers from being injured by them. It's impossible to quantify.

It is difficult to quantify, so I suppose we'd have to compare it to other dangerous leisure pursuits.

I'm drawn on this too, because when I was a child I remember my family had a box of fireworks. I remember playing with sparklers. As I got older though, around my school, there were a group of people who used to aim them at other kids. I learnt not to take certain routes home around November. It was a nice school. ;)

That experience has put me off them completely. My feelings on this are mixed, because I do remember getting enjoyment out of them when I was little. It's just a shame that they're ruined by idiots.

Like a lot of things really. Maybe we could legislate against idiots.

My main complaint, the huge gigantic complaint, can only be setting them off before (and after) Bonfire Night for no reason than to let off fireworks. No act of celebration - no act of tradition. It is purely done for its own purpose.

Much like most leisure pursuits, done because it's fun. Does doing something need more reason beyond being enjoyable (so long as it's lawful and doesn't cause harm).

Archived