Fireworks - who hates them?

I think fireworks should be sold from 1st to 6th November, then withdrawn from shops not available all year round.

That would make new years suck, and weddings, and birthdays, and lots of other celebrations where people use fireworks.

Does doing something need more reason beyond being enjoyable.

With fireworks I would say yes. There needs to be an element of social responsibility involved in playing with explosives. To justify it on a celebration or a tradition is different to saying "I just felt like blowing something up".

That would make new years suck, and weddings, and birthdays, and lots of other celebrations where people use fireworks.

True m8, but until they start to sell them responsibly then perhaps its the only way forward. I don't think that fireworks make NYE anyway, its only come in the few years.

With fireworks I would say yes. There needs to be an element of social responsibility involved in playing with explosives. To justify it on a celebration or a tradition is different to saying "I just felt like blowing something up".

I agree that they should be used responsibly, but if I have a sudden desire to launch some fireworks at say 2000 on a dark evening, how is that irresponsible (so long as it's done safely)?

if I have a sudden desire to launch some fireworks at say 2000 on a dark evening, how is that irresponsible (so long as it's done safely)?

Your neighbours may suffer from you doing that. One a handful of nights per year, they suffer a little. If they lived near someone who regularly played with explosives for fun then they may consider him a bad neighbour.

A lot like listening to music loudly. A special occasion, a party or a celebration - there is a little lee way. It's unpleasant but people are allowed to have some fun. A regular thing and that behaviour becomes a nuisance and unsociable.

Can folk not live without playing with explosives at other times of the year? Are explosives mandatory?

(she said, sounding somewhat grumpier than she meant to...)

Your neighbours may suffer from you doing that. One a handful of nights per year, they suffer a little. If they lived near someone who regularly played with explosives for fun then they may consider him a bad neighbour.

They might suffer from me playing loud music, but as long as it's before 2300 they don't really have much grounds to complain.

A lot like listening to music loudly. A special occasion, a party or a celebration - there is a little lee way. It's unpleasant but people are allowed to have some fun. A regular thing and that behaviour becomes a nuisance and unsociable.

Maybe, but how long can a private fireworks 'display' last, 10 mins if you're lucky, and a few times a year, neighbours would have to be pretty grumpy to find that a big issue.

They might suffer from me playing loud music, but as long as it's before 2300 they don't really have much grounds to complain

That's a fallacy, a statutory noise nuisance can be at any time of day and doesn't have to even be that loud. There's many possible determining factors.. and many random but frequent loud bangs on a frequent or daily basis would almost certainly fall within the nuisance category.

Archived