Do squirrels 'really' lose their nuts in winter?

It's not a myth that they bury them..seen loads do just this in our garden with the peanuts I put out...don't know if they lose them though..

They don't get to ferret in my garden. Not with a greyhound for a pet. She hates them. Must be from chasing the 'rabbit' in her racing days! :)..She cornered one once. I had to dash down the garden and rescue it!

Florida.

I have a magic creature (well endowed) with a thousand balls) which f**** Ducks.

It doesn't do squirrels a lot of good either.

I grow tomatoes. My neighbour (across the road) grows tomatoes,

If the squirrels (vermin) eat his tomatoes they get fat and he gets annoyed.

If the squirrels (vermin) eat my tomatoes they die and my dogs get annoyed because they didn't get squirrel to eat..

I have regular furry visitors across the fence at the bottom of my garden, which irritates my dog profusely. I got to wondering. Is it just a myth about them burying nuts and not being able to find them again!

I watched a documentary on something similar and they find about 50% of the stuff they bury.Jay's also bury acorns and nuts, for the winter.

Squirrels are vermin. They are an effing pest! They're also quite smart. (too smart at times) When we lived in MS, my dogs were (at first) on chains run from limes. The squirrels learned - to the inch! how far the dog chains went.

"NYeah, nyeah nýeah nyeah - with hand waving.

If you get the chance to kill a squirrel, then - bearing in mind that under your (English) laws a grey squirrel is vermin and it is unlawful to release vermin, kill it right now!

You'd better do it right now!

Because if you ever capture one and if you've any sympathy for any living being, you'll have problems killing a squirrel. When you look into its eyes, I bet you won't want to kill that.

I can - and do - shoot squirrels. They're vermin.

But if I catch one, I feed it and let it go.

Archived