Operation Vendetta- protest in London tonight.

Conspiracy decribes something covert. There is nothing covert or conspiratorial about large companies failing to pay their due taxes. They'd rather you didn't know or ask awkward questions but it's out there for anyone to find out with a bit of digging.

What simply amazes me is that ordinary people can get in such a tiz about people just like themselves 'scrounging' a few quid on benefits, yet those same people have no interest whatsoever in the large companies and corporations that anually avoid paying £billions of pounds in tax through sharp practice as a matter if course, costing the country a hundred times as much.

They then mock and berate anyone who makes the effort to draw attention to it. I think their time would be better spent supporting those who want a fairer and more equitable society for the sake of all. That, or they should just shut up.

You think anyone who disagrees with you should shut up? How tolerant of you!

I get the impression from your posts that you're very young and naive - possibly a 1st year politics student at one of the universities, maybe? When you've been around a few more years you'll realise that protesting has never achieved anything and you'll be much happier just accepting the world the way it is.

Conspiracy decribes something covert. There is nothing covert or conspiratorial about large companies failing to pay their due taxes. They'd rather you didn't know or ask awkward questions but it's out there for anyone to find out with a bit of digging[/Quote]

The difficulty is Anna, and we've talked about this before, most of us do know (even without much digging) that this is what large companies are doing. But it's the like of those who do go on protests such as operation Vendetta that are the only ones who are attaching ideas of conspiracy to the whole thing.

Big companies are ripping us off, but that is a far cry from there being some kind of intrinsic flaw in these companies period, or the system itself, that can only be overcome by a 'revolution' by this idealist movement or that idealist movement. The flaw is in people, and that flaw is inherant in people both in big companies and the common worker and the unemployed, the difference seems to be that those in power get more flack for having that flaw than the rest of us.

What simply amazes me is that ordinary people can get in such a tiz about people just like themselves 'scrounging' a few quid on benefits[/Quote]

I've no problem with people on benefits. I do however have a problem with people abusing the system to make it easier for them when other people work hard for the same pay off. That doesn't relate 'just' to people on benefits, I feel the same about 'every day' workers, middle management, company directors, and government. There seems to be a bizarre set of people however who think they don't have to work hard and can cheat the system that then take umbridge at those more priveledged then they or in position of power who are doing exactly the same thing.

yet those same people have no interest whatsoever in the large companies and corporations that anually avoid paying £billions of pounds in tax through sharp practice as a matter if course, costing the country a hundred times as much[/Quote]

I have an interest, I just think the approach I take (not dissimilar to the one suggested by saunaman) is better than going out in the street and making a song and dance (and often alienating many people in the process). If we all used spending power then we would take the power away from those who abuse the system.

They then mock and berate anyone who makes the effort to draw attention to it. I think their time would be better spent supporting those who want a fairer and more equitable society for the sake of all. That, or they should just shut up.

I will openly support anyone who undertakes a project to help alleviate poverty in a practical way. But as much as we don't like to hear it big companies, government and bankers aren't all evil people. Provide a real and workable alternative to the current system and I'll listen. But I've being listening a long time and although I've heard of many people who want to fight the injustice present in the system I've never, not once, heard of a real, practical, workable alternative to the system.

I think several different events have got confused here:

- The actual protest by mostly occupy people

- The conspiracy theory that the mainstream media proactively ignored the protest because the powers that be dont want the sheeple to know about the protest

- The nutter who thinks he's the messiah, Maud'dib, trying to bandwagon the protest to promote himself as the righteous leader of the world.

Anna - when people have mentioned conspiracies in this thread, they haven't been talking about big business playing the system, everyone know's it's true and therefore it can't be a conspiracy theory. They're talking about things like RT only saying there were 200 people there, when (according to VR) there were many more present, to prevent knowledge of the protest getting out - this is a conspiracy theory.

You think anyone who disagrees with you should shut up? How tolerant of you!

I get the impression from your posts that you're very young and naive - possibly a 1st year politics student at one of the universities, maybe? When you've been around a few more years you'll realise that protesting has never achieved anything and you'll be much happier just accepting the world the way it is.

Oh that's so sweet, bless you.

Actually I'm an old age pensioner, but I like your fantasy better...

PaliRchard, another well thought out, respectful response. Don't necessarily agree, but thankyou.

Oh that's so sweet, bless you.

Actually I'm an old age pensioner, but I like your fantasy better...

PaliRchard, another well thought out, respectful response. Don't necessarily agree, but thankyou.

Well done Anna. I'm an OAP myself, only we don't call them that. We're called Senior Citizens but we have the same kind of battles you do. They may not realise it, but you can still be an OAP, and a first year uni student at the same time.:)

Well done Anna. I'm an OAP myself, only we don't call them that. We're called Senior Citizens but we have the same kind of battles you do. They may not realise it, but you can still be an OAP, and a first year uni student at the same time.:)

Indeed we can Buck.

Life doesn't end at 40 in fact it gets better.

The OP is correct in saying that the UK media seem to deliberately avoid broadcasting UK protests ( Oct 20th etc ) . Give them an appropriate protest abroad and the b@@gers will jump on it !

I say , and re-iterate , vote with your feet . I rang Virgin today , had left them a while ago but was still receiving non-compostable cr@p through the post , very politely told the call centre employee that I wanted to be removed from their mailing list because I disagreed with Beardie trying to make a profit out of the NHS . i think it's called " soft power" .

Put those banners away , you will only give them an excuse to ban public demonstrations eventually . Be more subtle and think outside of the box , on the basis that you cannot expect the media to be your friend or ally .

Archived