Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70's

zakes

I run into the wall on the corner next to the old farm building on my motorbike there one day about 1975 time, they carted me into the pub and sent for the ambulance from the pub,I was laid out on the seats in the lounge, when the ambulance man turned up he said whats wrong with him has he had to much to drink or what,they said no he crashed his motorbike.

The landlord of this pub used to bank at the Barclays branch where I worked. He was tall, dark, wavy hair and would have been about 40 in 1965. One of the girls used to fancy him. She said his face looked as though it had been chiselled out of rock.

Zakes, I see you used to buy your ciggies at townend before you got to the arra, As a kid I used to get mine from the machine on the wall at the side of Giles shop (none of your 18 problems in them days!) Left side were plain (red packet) right side tipped (blue packet) they were packets of FIVE for 10d (5np) The machine was next to the 'juicyfruit' dispenser (one threepenny bit). I always wondered why it was called 'Selig parade' until I realised it was 'Giles' backwards, Mr Giles owned the whole parade. Happy days.

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 20:34 ----------

P.S. Can you imagine how long a ciggie machine would last on the OUTSIDE of a shop these days!!!

Do you remember another pub on Hollinsend Road? It was part of a terraced row somewhere opposite the Hollin Bush. I think it had a beer only licence & couldn't serve spirits. It might have been called the Yew Tree. In the early 60's, I remember a couple of their dart players coming up to my local (New Inn at the bottom of Gleadless Common) who could go round the board on doubles in no time at all. It was a Yorkshire dart board with no treble or 25 ring. Do any pubs still have these boards in use nowadays?

The New Inn was a great local then. The dart board was in the tap room on the left as you went in and much smaller than it is today. The beer was Tetleys bitter (like wine!) or a dark mild, served in dimpled mugs with handles. If you went in the best side (lounge) you had to pay a penny more (1d that was), and it was served in a sleeve glass, which snobby folk thought was superior!

I sometimes called in at the Old 'Arrer' on White Lane, where you could get Tennants Amber (a light mild), bitter, and best bitter (Queens ?). When Whitbreads took over the brewery, we were introduced to Tankard YUK! We had another word for it beginning with W...... !

Do you remember another pub on Hollinsend Road? It was part of a terraced row somewhere opposite the Hollin Bush. I think it had a beer only licence & couldn't serve spirits. It might have been called the Yew Tree. In the early 60's, I remember a couple of their dart players coming up to my local (New Inn at the bottom of Gleadless Common) who could go round the board on doubles in no time at all. It was a Yorkshire dart board with no treble or 25 ring. Do any pubs still have these boards in use nowadays?

The New Inn was a great local then. The dart board was in the tap room on the left as you went in and much smaller than it is today. The beer was Tetleys bitter (like wine!) or a dark mild, served in dimpled mugs with handles. If you went in the best side (lounge) you had to pay a penny more (1d that was), and it was served in a sleeve glass, which snobby folk thought was superior!

I sometimes called in at the Old 'Arrer' on White Lane, where you could get Tennants Amber (a light mild), bitter, and best bitter (Queens ?). When Whitbreads took over the brewery, we were introduced to Tankard YUK! We had another word for it beginning with W...... !

A bloke called Alec Calley who lived on Gleadless Crescent used to go in the Tap Room at the New Inn.

On the way home up the Common Alec would jump on one of Dobsons farm horses and ride home .

A character was our Alec.

• 3 weeks later...
I run into the wall on the corner next to the old farm building on my motorbike there one day about 1975 time, they carted me into the pub and sent for the ambulance from the pub,I was laid out on the seats in the lounge, when the ambulance man turned up he said whats wrong with him has he had to much to drink or what,they said no he crashed his motorbike.

Can remember this like it was yesterday.

we were sitting outside the "arra" on a summers day when we heard the bike coming roaring down Fox Lane. Being interested in bikes we all turned to see what was coming at such a fast speed towards the pub. Suddenly a riderless bike came around the corner still on it's two wheels and revving it's wot nots off. it shot up the kerb opposite the "arra" and into the stone wall. We all stood there with our mouths wide open wondering why it was riderless then about 3 seconds later the rider came around the corner flat out in the gravel and there was an almighty bang as his (your) skid lid hit the kerb and you came to rest. you must have been flying literally. Unfortunately I can't say it was me who carried you into the pub. We were more concerned about the bike so ran over and switched it off !!!

If this is the Old Harrow at Coal Aston, I used to go in there frequently in the ealry 1960's - I think the landlord at the time was Wally Harrop who often did a stand up comedian act there to entertain the regulars. Having left the Sheffield area in 1967 and the UK in 2006, my pub location geography is a bit hazy

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

If this is the Old Harrow at Coal Aston, I used to go in there frequently in the ealry 1960's - I think the landlord at the time was Wally Harrop who often did a stand up comedian act there to entertain the regulars. Having left the Sheffield area in 1967 and the UK in 2006, my pub location geography is a bit hazy

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

Was'nt aware there was one at Coal Aston, this thread is about the one at White Lane near Ridgeway.

Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70’s Part3.

(A). By relating this piece I think my identity could be revealed. I can always deny it though, can’t I?

On Saturday evenings after my usual dab of Old Spice I would get set off to the Old Harrow. At the Townend (it really was) I’d buy fags and of course the broadsheeted Green Ún from Brooks newsagents which is as good a place as any to buy them. On the way to the Árra’ I would most avidly study the football results, the scorers, the half time scores and attendances and store the info in my head along with the gen gleaned from the teleprinter on telly a couple of hours prior.

After I’d got served my first pint, a small group would be gathered near to where I usually stood, next to the pinball machine. At least one person with their own copy of the Green Ún in hand would in a quick fire way ask me the scores, scorers, league placing etc. I gave the correct answers most of the time but not all the time which was good (but not for my pride), because some of them would have bets on me knowing the answers or not. This came to an end after a few months after I quite rightly suggested that a drink or two should be bought for me for all my hard work, TIGHT GETS!

During that time in my life I was obsessed with football and spent many hours reading the information packed pages of my favourite magazine Soccer Star which came out on Thursdays. I used to be filled with despair and think ‘ ’Kin ‘ell’, when United and Wednesday fans in the ‘Arra’ (and elsewhere, work etc) only talked about their own teams, and having friendly jibes at each other. I could have (and did) named a full team plus sub, manager and trainer of any professional club in the country at that time whether it was Arsenal, Aston Villa, Aldershot – Stockport, Southport, Shrewsbury – Walsall, Wolves or Workington etc.

P.S. The Green ‘Un used to come out a lot earlier in those days than they do today. Remember those maroon coloured vans?

(B). On Friday or Saturday (can’t remember which) a lad called Alan Woodward used to come to the Old Harrow. Alan was a good looking lad and was blond of hair and blue of eyes, and could quite easily in my opinion pull any bit o’skirt he wanted to. He was a year or so younger than my good self and hung about with some lads of his own age. Some lads who I knocked about with knew Alan and I got introduced to him. Alan lived on Charnock Grove near to Benj, mentioned earlier and it wasn’t long before he and I got reight pally.

One night Alan and me were having a natter about take out food, and I mentioned a Chinese chippie near to the Eyre Street clubs where later the HofBrauhaus was to be. I described to him the massive tasty savory rissoles and about the chicken omelettes, that were to die for. To my astonishment he said he would like to try the chippy, and as he had borrowed his dads car which was parked in the pub car park “we might as well go now.”

We left the pub without mention to anybody and drove down to the chippy. He certainly enjoyed the scran which we ate sat in the car, then we were back in the Arra within the hour and we hadn’t been missed. We repeated this several times over the next few months.

I often wondered if Alan was named after the famous footballer who bore the same name.

(John) Woodward. Stoke, AstonVilla, Walsall, Port Vale, Sc-nthorpe……Lol.

• 1 month later...

Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70’s Part4.

Here are another cuppla bits of uninteresting stuff that you may find interesting.

(A). There were plenty of evenings during my time at the Old Harrow when a group of 6-8 of us would play pinball. Between us we had a competition with 10 pence being the entry fee and the highest scorer collected the dosh as first prize. To win wasn’t easy because when it was your turn one or more of the others would start to speak with you, trying their damnest to break your concentration in trying to reach the highest score. The winning of 60-80 pence was quite handy when one considers the price of beer was approx. 12-16 pence or the equivalent of depending what year it was 71-75.

(B). One of the pinball players was a lad called Gary Turton who had a fair old way to come to the ‘Arra’ becaused he lived on Smalldale Road in Frecheville. Gary I believe was a pipe or heating fitter and often worked away from Sheffield in the week. Gary had an open face and smiled a lot, he was a nice friendly person who unfortunately had a hairstyle reminiscent of a fluffy crash helmet. Gary was a smoker of Embassy Regal, and if anybody asked him to crash the fags he always made a point of showing whoever that person was that he only had one left in his packet. When he had finished smoking his last girlie tipped (filter) fag he would replace the two from a packet he had in another pocket. He did this surreptitiously usually when he went to splash his boots, tight get! I was quite happy to smoke my Parkie’s Plain, a real man’s fag. Ugh.