Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70's

zakes

:cool:

Can remember this like it was yesterday.

we were sitting outside the "arra" on a summers day when we heard the bike coming roaring down Fox Lane. Being interested in bikes we all turned to see what was coming at such a fast speed towards the pub. Suddenly a riderless bike came around the corner still on it's two wheels and revving it's wot nots off. it shot up the kerb opposite the "arra" and into the stone wall. We all stood there with our mouths wide open wondering why it was riderless then about 3 seconds later the rider came around the corner flat out in the gravel and there was an almighty bang as his (your) skid lid hit the kerb and you came to rest. you must have been flying literally. Unfortunately I can't say it was me who carried you into the pub. We were more concerned about the bike so ran over and switched it off !!!

I can remember it clearly as well There was about ten of us greasers chasing some scooter boys up through ridgeway, it was a sunny sunday afternoon we had been in the Phoenix as they came past they started giving us the rods and things and shouting, the lads were on the front waiting for me as I had been for a last minute pee,they set off chasing before I could get my c15 barracuda fired up they roared off leaving me to catch up, I can remember they chased them up to the junction of where the pub is and turned right to go up towards birly I hit the corner far to fast and dropped the bike I went skidding into the wall across the road and nearly ended up in the farmyard the bike hit the wall outside the pub,I still have the scars on my knees to this day from the accident them were the days.:cool:

:cool:

I can remember it clearly as well There was about ten of us greasers chasing some scooter boys up through ridgeway, it was a sunny sunday afternoon we had been in the Phoenix as they came past they started giving us the rods and things and shouting, the lads were on the front waiting for me as I had been for a last minute pee,they set off chasing before I could get my c15 barracuda fired up they roared off leaving me to catch up, I can remember they chased them up to the junction of where the pub is and turned right to go up towards birly I hit the corner far to fast and dropped the bike I went skidding into the wall across the road and nearly ended up in the farmyard the bike hit the wall outside the pub,I still have the scars on my knees to this day from the accident them were the days.:cool:

Must have been another pile up Shogun as the other one described the bike coming down Fox Lane, you would not see the bike until it actually past the pub and hit the wall.

Must have been another pile up Shogun as the other one described the bike coming down Fox Lane, you would not see the bike until it actually past the pub and hit the wall.

Funny thing is my mate Frank had a prang there about the same time as well on his Royal Enfield think he hit the same wall,we were always round that area then we were from the Heely and Woodseats area it was a nice run out to Ridgeway and Mosborough for us in them days think we went in that pub once or twice as well.

hi i remember all of those boosers and quafed a few gallon in them in the 70s i worked in two of them they were the royal oak for many years thats were i met my first long term girlfriend. then went across the road to the noahs ark for a few months then back to the oak, i left them all together and for a change i went on the intake club committee for a long time ended my time here as president and concert chairman which i loved in fact i loved my time as a barman, i spent over 40 years behind bars untill i got my own pub that was the woodseats hotel on chesterfield rd all my time i was behind bars i loved it it was my social life too the best one i loved the most was the oak working for tommy poole great to be a patron of them all, think the arra is now an indian resturant, as did the cutlers, as did the woodseats, shame that dozens of pubs have gone on to restuants or corner shops the jordo that went that way sorry i have rattled on but i love the 70s

• 2 weeks later...
I remember drinking in the Old harrow of a Friday and Saturday night and then, at closing time (10.30), legging it down to the Phoenix because it was over the border and had half an hour's extra drinking time.

And the border used to be at Gleadless Town End where the Garage is now .

So we all used to run from the Heeley and Sheffield across the border and into the Red Lion for the extra half hour.

If this is the Old Harrow at Coal Aston, I used to go in there frequently in the ealry 1960's - I think the landlord at the time was Wally Harrop who often did a stand up comedian act there to entertain the regulars. Having left the Sheffield area in 1967 and the UK in 2006, my pub location geography is a bit hazy

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

I was wondering the same because I remember that one myself...and Wally Harrops and the toilets that were marked Shake Dry and Drip Dry......I recall some of his jokes even to this day.

• 4 weeks later...
And the border used to be at Gleadless Town End where the Garage is now .

So we all used to run from the Heeley and Sheffield across the border and into the Red Lion for the extra half hour.

Cuttsie,the Red Lion at Townend had the same hours as the Heeley and Sheffield,they were both in Sheffield. The West Riding/Derbyshire border was next to those toilets opposite the Lion. We used to sup up int Lion and away to the Old Harrow/Phoenix,Ridgeway boozers 'cos they were in Derbyshire and open till 11-00pm. this was in the 60s and 70s.

Chris.

Cuttsie,the Red Lion at Townend had the same hours as the Heeley and Sheffield,they were both in Sheffield. The West Riding/Derbyshire border was next to those toilets opposite the Lion. We used to sup up int Lion and away to the Old Harrow/Phoenix,Ridgeway boozers 'cos they were in Derbyshire and open till 11-00pm. this was in the 60s and 70s.

Chris.

Sorry but the old harrow was in Sheffield also the border was and still is just pass the old harrow.