Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70's

zakes

Sorry but the old harrow was in Sheffield also the border was and still is just pass the old harrow.

Sorry Kidorry but I think you are wrong. The Old Harrow was in Derbyshire until the county border changes in 1974 - I think it was. The sign for Derbyshire border was where I said originally -opposite the front entrance of the Red Lion and there was an old style signpost there with Yorks West Riding on it. Gleadless was in N.E.Derbyshire down White Lane and Birley School,where my wife went in late 50s/early 60s was also in the same county.

I apologize if I am wrong but I came out of the Lion enough times int 60s through to the late 80s so it's imprinted on my brain. Maybe somebody else remembers?

---------- Post added 16-05-2013 at 21:06 ----------

Sorry to go harping on about where the Derbys/West Riding border was int 60s but here's a photo taken just above the Red Lion showing the Post Office ont right and to the left is the Derbyshire County sign,right next to the toilets in front of the pub.

gleadless1.jpg

And one facing the Red Lion showing the signpost that said West Riding on it.

gleadless.jpg

Sorry Kidorry but I think you are wrong. The Old Harrow was in Derbyshire until the county border changes in 1974 - I think it was. The sign for Derbyshire border was where I said originally -opposite the front entrance of the Red Lion and there was an old style signpost there with Yorks West Riding on it. Gleadless was in N.E.Derbyshire down White Lane and Birley School,where my wife went in late 50s/early 60s was also in the same county.

I apologize if I am wrong but I came out of the Lion enough times int 60s through to the late 80s so it's imprinted on my brain. Maybe somebody else remembers?

---------- Post added 16-05-2013 at 21:06 ----------

Sorry to go harping on about where the Derbys/West Riding border was int 60s but here's a photo taken just above the Red Lion showing the Post Office ont right and to the left is the Derbyshire County sign,right next to the toilets in front of the pub.

gleadless1.jpg

And one facing the Red Lion showing the signpost that said West Riding on it.

gleadless.jpg

You could be right about the boundary changes but I think it was before 1974 when the old harrow was in Sheffield.

You could be right about the boundary changes but I think it was before 1974 when the old harrow was in Sheffield.

I'll ask a mate of mine to enquire in the Red Lion when he next goes in.Mind you there might not be anybody left that old.:hihi:

There was a stream under the Lion called the Shirebrook which defined the county boundary.

Interesting stuff,but my memory isn't as sharp as it was,must be t'Irish Sea air int Isle of Man that's diluted it.

Chris

I'll ask a mate of mine to enquire in the Red Lion when he next goes in.Mind you there might not be anybody left that old.:hihi:

There was a stream under the Lion called the Shirebrook which defined the county boundary.

Interesting stuff,but my memory isn't as sharp as it was,must be t'Irish Sea air int Isle of Man that's diluted it.

Chris

I do remember getting an extra half hour in the Lion in the early sixties so maybe the border was near enough:)

Apart from that is my old mate Mick Holgate from the Manor Top still in the Isle of Man its 45 years since I last saw him.

I believe Mick set him self up as a building contractor on the I.O.M. all those years ago.

Chris

I asked an old man on our road who has lived up here since the estate was built and he agrees with you about the boundary being near the Red Lion and the stream defining the boundary that ran down to Intake.He also thinks the Old Harrow was incorporated into the Sheffield boundary after the residents on some parts of the Basegreen estate stopped paying their rates to Chesterfield and their rent to Sheffield.

I asked an old man on our road who has lived up here since the estate was built and he agrees with you about the boundary being near the Red Lion and the stream defining the boundary that ran down to Intake.He also thinks the Old Harrow was incorporated into the Sheffield boundary after the residents on some parts of the Basegreen estate stopped paying their rates to Chesterfield and their rent to Sheffield.

I think you asked me before about your mate Mick Holgate.There are five Holgates int phone book,only one with "M" initial - M.J. Holgate,I will PM the address and phone number if you want.

I reckon it's right about the Old Harrow incorporated into Sheffield - you could get a later pint there int early 60s but not in later years and I do recall a friend of mine who lived on Basegreen paying rent to Sheffield and rates to Chesterfield - can't be many places where that happened. The nearest later pint pub to the Red Lion int 70s was the Phoenix or you could go into Ridgeway and the Swan or Queens - never the Bridge though in Ford Bottom,too miserable in there.

Let me know about Holgate,no problem.

Chris

I think you asked me before about your mate Mick Holgate.There are five Holgates int phone book,only one with "M" initial - M.J. Holgate,I will PM the address and phone number if you want.

I reckon it's right about the Old Harrow incorporated into Sheffield - you could get a later pint there int early 60s but not in later years and I do recall a friend of mine who lived on Basegreen paying rent to Sheffield and rates to Chesterfield - can't be many places where that happened. The nearest later pint pub to the Red Lion int 70s was the Phoenix or you could go into Ridgeway and the Swan or Queens - never the Bridge though in Ford Bottom,too miserable in there.

Let me know about Holgate,no problem.

Chris

I think you have the wrong person, because I have never heard of a Mick Holgate.

I think you'll find the border moved from Gleadless Townend to past the Old Harrow in 1967. This was when estates like Base Green, Hackenthorpe etc moved from North East Derbyshire to Sheffield.

There were later changes in 1974, when places Mosborough were moved from Derbyshire to the newly created South Yorkshire.