Old Harrow, White Lane, Early 70's

zakes

I remember the Forresters. Saturday night, used to get the tickets for the

City Hall dance, then over the road for a drink and if all the tickets had gone

then it was beg or plead to buy one off one of the lads in there drinking.

Old Harrow, White Lane, 70's Part 9.

1. Sweetdexter ref. post 59.

Yes, it's the pub that put on jazz performances. Tubby Hayes, Mark Murphy, Johnny Dankworth, Cleo Laine and many more. This all happened before my days of boozing, but somebody a while ago who used to go to the jazz in't 'Arra', told me a tale. One evening at the jazz time was called, but some were still suppin' after the drinking up time had elapsed, when the coppers came in. A load of them a few days later received summonses to attend court in Renishaw. At that time the 'Arra' was in Derbyshire. I then telled him that I myself knew Renishaw Courthouse very well, because I had appeared there 3 times myself when I was 9, 10, and 12 years old. Twice when I lived at Hackenthorpe, and once when I lived at Birley. That shocked him. Lol.

2. Kidorry ref. post 63.

You mentioned Stuart Basford. The first time I saw this tall, beefy, rubicund complexioned fellow was in the 'Arra', early 70's.

Info:1. He claimed to have been at the Beatles gig at the Azena danse hall.

2. He became a policeman.

3. Years later he had a shop, selling silver [Ag]

4. His wife had a baby clothes shop. Both shops were on Ecclesall Road just above the Berkley Precinct shopping centre, and on the same side of the road.

5. Stuart later became a music promoter and put gigs on at the City hall's Memorial Hall and at the Boardwalk etc.

3. There was a girl who used to go in the 'Arra' on her own. She used to stand in the middle of the first section of the bar in the concert room. After receiving her drink, she would then face toward the centre of the room with her left arm on the bar. Some of my mates would pass pleasantries with her whilst she waited for her friend to arrive. I think it's possible they had gone to the same school as each other. Frecheville school. The girl lived on Base Green, was born at a guess 1953-54 and was called Janette. At a stab int' dark her surname may have been Cartwright[?], but I may have got that completely wrong. Anyway, I fancied her big style. Now you know.

I think all the above is correct going to press. If it isn't I add the word allegedly.

• 3 years later...

well thats a blast from the past, some things not as I remember, I was going in the arra for yrs started under age , knew paul & Julie bell .yes I fancied her.

anyone remember when ginna was land lord & we moved the Derbyshire sighn to con him into another half hour silly drunk. seen some talk about alan woodward I went all through school with him he was a better footballer then falkner , went on to have many a good night in the arra lots of mates bikers & others .some great times when john & sue ran it. was a sad day when the old place closed, always say if I won lotto I want to buy it back, you all welcome.

70s until closed was my time there , lived around corner ,

some may remember me , but don't if I owe you owt .........cheers

---------- Post added 16-03-2018 at 11:03 ----------

p.s. I knew jannett cartwrite I I fancyd her too knew her in school days though

well thats a blast from the past, some things not as I remember, I was going in the arra for yrs started under age , knew paul & Julie bell .yes I fancied her.

anyone remember when ginna was land lord & we moved the Derbyshire sighn to con him into another half hour silly drunk. seen some talk about alan woodward I went all through school with him he was a better footballer then falkner , went on to have many a good night in the arra lots of mates bikers & others .some great times when john & sue ran it. was a sad day when the old place closed, always say if I won lotto I want to buy it back, you all welcome.

70s until closed was my time there , lived around corner ,

some may remember me , but don't if I owe you owt .........cheers

I think everybody fancied Julie :hihi: