New car keeps breaking down

It's simple.

The car is not "fit for purpose".

Under the Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to a full refund.

Get your money back and go elsewhere.

Easier said than done especially if he's a small indie or sole trader selling from his house and doesn't have the money to pay him back.

Even a main dealer may not play ball even in the face of solicitor letters etc..

You have to give the dealer a fair chance to rectify the problems.

You don't have grounds to reject the car immediately there's a problem even a major one.

OP - go onto the consumer websites, there's loads of information on buying 2nd hand and new cars and your rights.

Air filter lose is probably as a result of the "technician" not checking he's put everything back together after changing the coil pack.

Go back and insist they sort it there and then. If it does break down again then to me I would lose all confidence in the car and go for a refund but as my post above its easier said then done.

Is it 2nd hand? If so is the warranty with a 3rd party and has the garage just fixed the problems without going through the warranty company?

Air filter lose is probably as a result of the "technician" not checking he's put everything back together after changing the coil pack.

Go back and insist they sort it there and then. If it does break down again then to me I would lose all confidence in the car and go for a refund but as my post above its easier said then done.

Is it 2nd hand? If so is the warranty with a 3rd party and has the garage just fixed the problems without going through the warranty company?

ye its 2nd hand , and ye the garage seem to fix it themselves without going through the warranty.

They sound pretty reasonable then and they seem to be making every effort to rectify the problems as they arise.

As above get the air filter/rattle sorted and see what happens from there.

TBH its a 2nd hand car so will have some problems. What car doesn't?

ye just inconvienent thats all.

Hi thanks for the replies, car has come with a 2 year warranty its a fiat punto, at 1st the engine management light come on, there changed the spark plugs, and gave it me back and the light come on again, so then there changed the coil packs which has resolved the issue, and last night when im driving there is a rattling noise when the revs are at 2500 rpm upwards, lifted the bonnet up and the air filter looks loose.

You said it "keeps breaking down". Has it actually broken down yet?

Archived