People who don't have insurance

Why would you insure something from the place you bought it?

Brighthouse(or Crazy Georges as it was) used to offer a nominal monthly charge for insurance, if for instance your dog ate the games machine whilst you were still under contract to pay for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYorksDeano

Believe it or not but most people will have bought these TV's from places like Brighthouse or Perfect Homes, who chuck on a massive charge just to insure that item

Why would you insure something from the place you bought it?

Brighthouse force you to take out cover on the items, making you pay almost twice as much back, unless you can prove you have insurance of your own, with adequate accidental damage cover.

Shops like Currys etc sell TVs on credit with insurance cover at £5 per month extra - most people probably take out these thinking they wont need home insurance. Last time I looked in Currys I said I wouldnt require their cover due to being insured. The man then said I should get it anyway as there was no excess to pay, and my premiums wouldnt go up after I claimed.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Brighthouse force you to take out cover on the items, making you pay almost twice as much back, unless you can prove you have insurance of your own, with adequate accidental damage cover.

Shops like Currys etc sell TVs on credit with insurance cover at £5 per month extra - most people probably take out these thinking they wont need home insurance. Last time I looked in Currys I said I wouldnt require their cover due to being insured. The man then said I should get it anyway as there was no excess to pay, and my premiums wouldnt go up after I claimed.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I suppose if all you want to replace is your TV then that might make some (but not much) sense.

If however you'd like to replace your furniture, electrical items, clothing, repair any damage, etc... then proper insurance would be far more cost effective and comprehensive.

I have a friend who had his computer stolen and was upset that he didn't have contents insurance. He was upset until I pointed out that he hadn't had contents insurance for over 20 years and had saved enough to buy several computers. He was very cheered by this thought,

Insurance is a gamble, if you have it you're betting that you'll need it if you don't have it you're betting that you won't need it.

Archived