People who don't have insurance

No its not. It costs between £10-£15 a month for basic home insurance covering up to £50,000 of contents.

My insurance is £35 for that amount of cover. and that's about the best price I've found.

However when my steplads were younger, I'm afraid, if it were a choice between feeding my kids on that £10/15 quid, and paying for insurance, filling my kids' bellies would have won every time.

My insurance is £35 for that amount of cover. and that's about the best price I've found.

Then you are probably not looking in the right place. That quote came from Direct Line with no no-claims discounts of any kind and no alarms fitted etc. You however may live in a more risky area than me so your premiums could be higher. It may also be higher if you have claimed before.

However when my steplads were younger, I'm afraid, if it were a choice between feeding my kids on that £10/15 quid, and paying for insurance, filling my kids' bellies would have won every time.

You're moving the goal posts here. This thread is about people being able to afford high value electronics but are unable to insure them. I highlighted the fact household insurance is not as expensive as others are claiming. Not people unable to feed their kids.

Please provide a basis on which you put forward this assumption?

This is on a bit of a side note, but today on the radio they where talking about children going to school without having had a decent meal. Poverty was blamed but then the next caller talked about how she is in poverty, has 3 kids, is a single parent and survives solely on benefits. She is even paying of an old debt at the same time and her kids are fed and clothed with the little money she has.

I suppose if all you want to replace is your TV then that might make some (but not much) sense.

If however you'd like to replace your furniture, electrical items, clothing, repair any damage, etc... then proper insurance would be far more cost effective and comprehensive.

I believe that usually the insurance that shops that Brighthouse force you to take isn't insurance for the goods, is insurance for the money that you owe. So if your TV gets stolen, you don't owe them the money any more, but you don't get a replacement TV.

Archived