People who don't have insurance

This is on a bit of a side note, but today on the radio they where talking about children going to school without having had a decent meal. Poverty was blamed but then the next caller talked about how she is in poverty, has 3 kids, is a single parent and survives solely on benefits. She is even paying of an old debt at the same time and her kids are fed and clothed with the little money she has.

Please put forward how this is relevant to my original question? Or am I missing the point?

I'm afraid that anybody who believes that you can insure £50,000 worth of contents cover if you live on a council or housing association housing estate for £10 a month has clearly not tried to do it.

I'm not claiming that it's right not to have insurance (I have both buildings and contents insurance) but I do know that living on a small income can make anybody make choices that they wouldn't otherwise choose to take, such as choosing between food and heating, between school clothes or council tax or between insurance and lighting, and in that position there is no such thing as a right answer.

When you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes then you may be entitled to criticise- I've been broke enough to wonder how long I can manage without electricity and heating for. Thankfully it was an acute situation that I knew was going to resolve in less than 3 months, so I didn't have to take hard decisions about which essential payments I was going to cancel. Another few months on from that and the situation could have been entirely different.

I also know several people who choose not to have home insurance and instead just pay for whatever is needed for their home. That's not illegal either, and they take full responsibility for their actions.

Not having insurance is not always about not planning or not caring about what may happen in certain situations.

I do not think council estates per se carry high premiums,and Wisewood has quite acceptable charges.However areas of high risk may include many such estates,especially where there is high crime.

Why is it a lot of people in Social Housing dont have insurance

Go to a lot of council estates/housing association places, look for houses with big tellys etc,and other expensive gadgets in the house

Then ask how many insurance?, i bet a large proportion of council tennants dont !,yet they can afford all these electronic gadgets?

It seems to be a common inability of people on council estates and other people in social housing to be get the basics right first

If you are in social housing you can get very cheap insurance.

Theres no excuse, for sob stories in the star just because they wanted that x box instead of insuring the contents and then expecting the gullable readers of the Star to fork out

My bad:)

Begging in effect for free stuff.

Bet you could find lots of stories in the star to prove my point

Can you provide evidence to substantiate the following?

1) The existence of 'a large proportion of council tenants' who have no contents insurance.

2) That 'a lot of people in Social Housing don't have insurance'.

3) The common inability of people on council estates and other people in social housing to be get the basics right first

4) That 'if you are in social housing you can get very cheap insurance'.

5) That people buy X-boxes instead of insurance and then expect others to bail them out?

Can you please bear in mind that an occasional story from The Star about a family who have struggled after a fire or flood will not suffice as evidence for all of the above points you have made.

Can you provide evidence to substantiate the following?

1) The existence of 'a large proportion of council tenants' who have no contents insurance.

2) That 'a lot of people in Social Housing don't have insurance'.

3) The common inability of people on council estates and other people in social housing to be get the basics right first

4) That 'if you are in social housing you can get very cheap insurance'.

5) That people buy X-boxes instead of insurance and then expect others to bail them out?

Can you please bear in mind that an occasional story from The Star about a family who have struggled after a fire or flood will not suffice as evidence for all of the above points you have made.

What he said.. because frankly this thread is just full of BS finger pointing with no basis in fact.

I'd also point out, that social housing tenants (by which I mean authority housing) can pay an extra premium directly to the local authority for household contents insurance they have arranged in a block policy with a major insurance retailer. This insurance can cost from as little as a fiver a month to as much as you like depending on how much cover you want.. as this insurance doesn't relate to the 'fabric' of the house it's much much cheaper than standard household insurance.

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/HomeInsuranceScheme.aspx

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/123/council_housing-home_insurance/852/home_contents_insurance/1

http://www.stlegerhomes.co.uk/customer_information/home_insurance.aspx

I have a friend who had his computer stolen and was upset that he didn't have contents insurance. He was upset until I pointed out that he hadn't had contents insurance for over 20 years and had saved enough to buy several computers. He was very cheered by this thought,

Insurance is a gamble, if you have it you're betting that you'll need it if you don't have it you're betting that you won't need it.

I know a man who applies this principle to everything he owns. He only insures what he absolutely has to. The saved premiums all go into an account to pay for any accidents.

It was all going really well for him, until he broke his leg skiing:)

I do not think council estates per se carry high premiums,and Wisewood has quite acceptable charges.However areas of high risk may include many such estates,especially where there is high crime.

It is even more sensitive than that. The number of recent crimes in a particular postcode can affect premiums, so if a couple of your neigbours get robbed, your premium will rise. If people three streets away get robbed, it might not.

It is even more sensitive than that. The number of recent crimes in a particular postcode can affect premiums, so if a couple of your neigbours get robbed, your premium will rise. If people three streets away get robbed, it might not.

Your neighbours don't have to get robbed - they just have to make fraudulent claims as is usual in some middle class districts.

Archived