People who don't have insurance

Can you provide evidence to substantiate the following?

1) The existence of 'a large proportion of council tenants' who have no contents insurance.- Insurance survey by the Association of British Insurers

2) That 'a lot of people in Social Housing don't have insurance'.- Aviva stats

3) The common inability of people on council estates and other people in social housing to be get the basics right first - Lack of basic life skills have kept a lot of these people at the bottom of the pile

4) That 'if you are in social housing you can get very cheap insurance'- Lots of councils will offer through insurance providers (ie NE Derbyshire -with Avvia)

5) That people buy X-boxes instead of insurance and then expect others to bail them out? - Lots and lots of stories in the star

What he said.. because frankly this thread is just full of BS finger pointing with no basis in fact.

I'd also point out, that social housing tenants (by which I mean authority housing) can pay an extra premium directly to the local authority for household contents insurance they have arranged in a block policy with a major insurance retailer. This insurance can cost from as little as a fiver a month to as much as you like depending on how much cover you want.. as this insurance doesn't relate to the 'fabric' of the house it's much much cheaper than standard household insurance.

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/HomeInsuranceScheme.aspx

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/123/council_housing-home_insurance/852/home_contents_insurance/1

http://www.stlegerhomes.co.uk/customer_information/home_insurance.aspx

Not at all

Lack of insurance threatens social tenants

A third of social housing tenants have no insurance, despite being at higher risk of having to make a claim, an insurance company has warned.

Farr Insurance says government statistics show social tenants are twice as likely to get burgled as owner occupiers, eight times more likely to live on flood plains, and 30 times more at risk of arson than people in more affluent areas.

‘Hugh numbers of social housing tenants are at risk from incidents such as fires, floods, and burglary that can cause widespread property damage,’ said Joe Murphy, head of business at Farr.

‘This is a serious problem affecting individuals in our most vulnerable communities, who face a real risk of losing everything in the event of vandalism or an emergency.’

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/lack-of-insurance-threatens-social-tenants/6506970.article

No its not. It costs between £10-£15 a month for basic home insurance covering up to £50,000 of contents.

Maybe most that don't have it might be because they have already been burgled & can no longer afford it - after 3 burglaries in 5 months I couldn't afford the £200 a month insurance, before that it was £35 per month so not sure where your £10-15 is

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeX

No its not. It costs between £10-£15 a month for basic home insurance covering up to £50,000 of contents.

Maybe most that don't have it might be because they have already been burgled & can no longer afford it - after 3 burglaries in 5 months I couldn't afford the £200 a month insurance, before that it was £35 per month so not sure where your £10-15 is

Mines only £6.70 a month for £20,000 - the lowest I could get insured for through the company I used, certainly don't need any more than that.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Mines only £6.70 a month for £20,000 - the lowest I could get insured for through the company I used, certainly don't need any more than that.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It's nothing is it? When you compare it to the price of fish n chips or a round if drinks?

Can you provide evidence to substantiate the following?

1) The existence of 'a large proportion of council tenants' who have no contents insurance.- Insurance survey by the Association of British Insurers

2) That 'a lot of people in Social Housing don't have insurance'.- Aviva stats

3) The common inability of people on council estates and other people in social housing to be get the basics right first - Lack of basic life skills have kept a lot of these people at the bottom of the pile

4) That 'if you are in social housing you can get very cheap insurance'- Lots of councils will offer through insurance providers (ie NE Derbyshire -with Avvia)

5) That people buy X-boxes instead of insurance and then expect others to bail them out? - Lots and lots of stories in the star

Good stuff - some interesting evidence there - especially in the comments section of the Inside Housing link you provided.

But you're still struggling with 3 and 5. Would it be fair to say we are in the realms of opinion and assumption here?

It's obviously "post code" related.

I paid £29 a month in Sheffield for buildings and contents cover....and just a few weeks before leaving was burgled. I claimed for losses and was paid out.(the only claim in 34 years)

I then moved away...and the insurance company transferred the cover to here at the same price.

However...they wouldn't reinsure at the renewal date unless I installed a burglar alarm. Not your ordinary alarm mind...a clever (expensive) thing that notified the police.

Two minutes on Google....one phone call later....and I'm insured (buildings and contents) for just £15 a month.

And YES...I did tell them of the burglary.

It's obviously "post code" related.

I paid £29 a month in Sheffield for buildings and contents cover....and just a few weeks before leaving was burgled. I claimed for losses and was paid out.(the only claim in 34 years)

I then moved away...and the insurance company transferred the cover to here at the same price.

However...they wouldn't reinsure at the renewal date unless I installed a burglar alarm. Not your ordinary alarm mind...a clever (expensive) thing that notified the police.

Two minutes on Google....one phone call later....and I'm insured (buildings and contents) for just £15 a month.

And YES...I did tell them of the burglary.

Could you tell me who you are insured with £15 pm is a big difference from £200

Archived