Maltby colliery to close

500 jobs are to be lost. Initially.

But Maltby was supplying the local cokeworks, which in turn supplies many other local industries.

For the time being (after the loss of local supply) we import coal from elsewhere, but we need local coal for the long-term...

Industry is often located at source.

If we must rely on freight - we need efficient and competitive freight. We need to be able to import and export cheaply - and improve things along the way.

Our freight isn't as efficient as it could be - without local coal - many more industries will incur extra expenses - and in turn be forced to close!

nice bit of Brownfield Land to build houses on though :)

So knowing that this pit is unacceptably dangerous you would still keep it open? I mean given that the coal from Maltby colliery is of a very high standard and it has been an very fertile pit in the past.

Is your child an employee there? Would you send your son down there?

Does anyone know how much coal is down there ? I recall they flattened Arkwright because of carbon monoxide (I think it was CO1 anyway although I think the actual risk wasn't that high) and open cast the coal out. Is it worth doing that with bits of maltby ?

Does anyone know how much coal is down there ? I recall they flattened Arkwright because of carbon monoxide (I think it was CO1 anyway although I think the actual risk wasn't that high) and open cast the coal out. Is it worth doing that with bits of maltby ?

Carbon monoxide is the result of incomplete combustion in a mine. CH4 is different.:huh:

Once fully worked, it might as well be used.

It can be used for residential, commercial, light industrial (and perhaps even some heavy industrial use also), nature and more...

Dealing with the change in use of the land is key. Might aswell use it for good rather than let it go idle eh!

There was a survey done there in the 80's that said there was coal to be extracted for decades if I remember rightly. At least thats what my dad told me. Of course that was decades ago so maybe its nearly all gone

The enemy within are getting hammered again now that the cons are in. Nothing new there then.

Not only that, but the Tories are responsible for coal being a finite resource. If it wasn't for the Eton toffs who were around in the Carboniferous era we'd have unlimited coal.

It's true I tell you. (I had proof, but it was stolen.)

I blame Thatcher!

NO casualties is the answer....but given that all jobs have a danger element, stuff happens! How many casualties is acceptable in war, in driving, in going to town on Saturday night? Every aspect of life has a risk factor.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there old bean?

No casualties are acceptable yet apparently there's no avoiding them.

So which is it? 1? 10? 100?

More starter homes for "young professionals".

It was methane at Arkwright..not CO

Archived