The Abu Hamza deportation thread

What do you mean by "freedom of religion"?

No-one ever mentions our freedom from religion. It's alright for a religious person to tell a homosexual he/she shouldn't exist, yet if a homosexual were to say religious people shouldn't exist there would be uproar. Yet one of them is genetic and the other just stupidity.

No-one ever mentions our freedom from religion. It's alright for a religious person to tell a homosexual he/she shouldn't exist, yet if a homosexual were to say religious people shouldn't exist there would be uproar. Yet one of them is genetic and the other just stupidity.
Indeed. I feel that I have a right to freedom from religion. :)

Of course, absolutely with regard to both points. I've never suggested otherwise.

In the words of the song,

There we have it gentlemen what more evidence do you need.

Condemned from his own mouth I would say.

Of course. That's how it works. For human rights to be meaningful they have to be applied to everyone.

But they are not, so they are meaningless. The "rights" are only applicable in the european area, only apply to actions of the state not individuals and thus do not guarentee any of the rights suggested, they merely form a body of get out clauses for criminals seeking to escape punishment for their actions. A terrorist in the UK can drag out human rights appeals for a decade, a terrorist in afghanistan gets shot in the face. All under the same system. The convention is perfectly nice as an aspirational set of principles, in practice it has been a costly terrorists and criminals charter which needs fundamental reform or abolishment from law.

I don't really see some of the things that you're suggesting as being a "right" per se. Rights for me are food, shelter, freedom of expression and religion etc. All the incidental stuff just makes a mockery of the phrase human rights.

I think the 'right to religion' bit is also incidental. It is covered by freedom of expression and shouldn't be singled out for special treatment. Tip toeing around religion is the major flaw with how Human Rights laws are interpreted and implemented. And is part of the reason it is taking so long to get rid of Hamza.

I think the 'right to religion' bit is also incidental. It is covered by freedom of expression and shouldn't be singled out for special treatment.

People have been persecuted because of who they worship, or which church they worship at, or whether they believe wine really does turn into Jesus's blood when it's swalled or not.

I'd defend Freedom of Religion, and I'm atheist. People should be free to hold whatever beliefs they wish without others persecuting them.

Archived