What are you watching on TV,anything worth watching lately?

janie48

Here's something to look forward to: Midwinter Of the Spirit, a three-parter starting on Wednesday September 23rd at 9pm on ITV.

It's a spooky tale of ghosts and exorcists, with a bit of satanic murder thrown in for good measure. Adapted by Stephen Volk (who wrote Ghostwatch) from the Phil Rickman novel (one of my favourites), and starring Anna Maxwell-Martin and David Threlfall, it should be well worth a watch.

There's been a bit of grumbling about some of the casting choices and, of course, a fair bit of the novel's plot is likely to have been shuffled and snipped, but my fingers are crossed that it lives up to my expectations.

Thanks for the heads up, I love a spooky ghost story.

Thanks for the heads up, I love a spooky ghost story.

I really recommend the series of books too, of which 'Midwinter of the Spirit' is the second. I enjoy folklore, legend, ghosts and hauntings, so I hoover these up as soon as they're published. Rickman is very good indeed with character and setting particularly, and his research is top notch.

My one criticism is that in addition to the usual suspension of disbelief you happily employ with such tales, Rickman seems to be genuinely pro alternative medicine and rather anti science and traditional medicine; psychiatrists, medics and Dawkins etc are usually dealt with accordingly. I do roll my eyes occasionally as I read - the subplot involving electricity pylons in 'The Lamp of the Wicked' is particularly chucklesome - but the rest of the work more than makes up for such nonsense.

Read 'The Wine of Angels' first, the first book in the series. It's very good. The scene-setting first chapter is brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
I watched the first episode of Dr Foster last night because I really like Suranne Jones. But I am not sure if I'll continue to watch it. It's a bit weird.
I thought the same when I watched the first episode but I carried on watching to see the final one. It had an unpredictable ending and some very dark scenes all the way through but definitely worth seeing.

I'd be surprised if Suranne Jones doesn't receive an award for that excellent acting performance, and other actors were very good too, especially the young boy who played her son.

The Last Kingdom, the new BBC2 series based on the the Bernard Cornwell novels about the 9th Century invasion of the Saxon kingdoms of England and Alfred The Great, is due to start on Thursday 22nd October (or this Saturday in the US).

Early reviews are very positive and the intro below is very atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdL0TUodnpU

From Darkness was OK, lot's of lingering looks and atmosphere. Promising, but I'm already thinking the main character is a bit unlikely.

Did enjoy her telling the balding, middle aged, alcoholic, problem with wife cop that he was a cliche, but a cliche within a cliche is still a cliche, no matter how "post ironic" you pretend it is.

Walking Dead is back now, although I don't hold much promise for it as I think they're just clutching at straws now.

Really enjoying watching Aquarius on Sky which is a remodeled version of the Charlie Manson story starring David whatshisface from X-Files, great actor IMO. Good story & interesting to watch for those who followed the Manson story, what a dark character.

Walking Dead is back now, although I don't hold much promise for it as I think they're just clutching at straws now.

Really enjoying watching Aquarius on Sky which is a remodeled version of the Charlie Manson story starring David whatshisface from X-Files, great actor IMO. Good story & interesting to watch for those who followed the Manson story, what a dark character.

I thought walking dead started out well this series.

I tried Aquarius but couldn't get into it. It was nice to see David duchovny back in a suit (im now quite looking forward to the new X files) and he was pretty good in it but the rest didn't do much for me I'm afraid. They didn't get the period feel right, too much modern hair and dialogue.

Started series 2 of the leftovers. What's going on there I've no idea - it's bonkers.

I thought walking dead started out well this series.

I tried Aquarius but couldn't get into it. It was nice to see David duchovny back in a suit (im now quite looking forward to the new X files) and he was pretty good in it but the rest didn't do much for me I'm afraid. They didn't get the period feel right, too much modern hair and dialogue.

Started series 2 of the leftovers. What's going on there I've no idea - it's bonkers.

I haven't watched it yet in all honesty, I was just commenting on the general feel I got from the few last series.

I was the same with the Leftovers really, I couldn't get into it. I totally agree with it being totally bonkers. :loopy: