Do peoples comments put you off posting

Definitely.

Living in Sheffield, SF can be a useful resource for information. And I've used it in this way for years. However, a lot of posts in the 'discussions' section are just depressing.

So many posts consist of the following:

Rants from driver's about some petty incident on the roads.

Thinly disguised 'I'm not racist, but...' threads.

The classic "I've worked hard all my life but can't afford to eat, while 'them' across the road on the dole all have gold teeth, have a speedboat on the drive, and spend most of the year holidaying in the Caribbean". I mean seriously?

General moans about, cyclists, recreational drug users, immigrants, those with alternative lifestyles etc. Usually calling for tighter regulation, or new laws and restrictions.

Brilliant resource, but can sometimes get a bit...

Take yesterday.

I posted a thread about lack of poppies being sold in my area. I was had abuse thrown at me which was racist , the Asian word begins with P and the Afro word begins with N. These 2 comments remained up for a good 15mins before they were removed.

I don't know how people feel the need to use such abuse and take enjoyment in posting it.

It isn't possible for us to see everything and deal with it instantly I'm afraid. As much as it'd be nice to be able to.

I'm quite happy for people to disagree with me and discuss the matter of hand, but I do find I get annoyed when such discussion is argumentative and accusatory as if some posters are trying to score points rather than actually trying to discuss a subject.

Unfortunately some people are also like that in day to day life and would talk to you the same way in the pub. In pub I can just walk away.

Does it put me off posting, certainly has turned me off posting on some threads that I might otherwise have enjoyed a good discussion in. When the discussion has been reasonable I have actually changed my views on some things because of it, it's a shame discussion doesn't always remain that civil.

Definitely.

Living in Sheffield, SF can be a useful resource for information. And I've used it in this way for years. However, a lot of posts in the 'discussions' section are just depressing.

So many posts consist of the following:

Rants from driver's about some petty incident on the roads.

Thinly disguised 'I'm not racist, but...' threads.

The classic "I've worked hard all my life but can't afford to eat, while 'them' across the road on the dole all have gold teeth, have a speedboat on the drive, and spend most of the year holidaying in the Caribbean". I mean seriously?

General moans about, cyclists, recreational drug users, immigrants, those with alternative lifestyles etc. Usually calling for tighter regulation, or new laws and restrictions.

Brilliant resource, but can sometimes get a bit...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zYlOU7Fpk

Then why not start your own threads instead of relying on others? :)

Archived