Do peoples comments put you off posting

I can't remember which thread it was in, but I wondered this the other day. Do some of the threads put people off posting in, because of the ... shall we say "Heated Debates".

It seems my hunch was right. People are put off by it.

I must admit, the thing that really irritates me, is when someone doesn't agree with you, and then starts calling you an 'idiot' or worse for having one particular opinion.

As a matter of interest one day (god I must have been bored), I noticed how many members were on the SF (just looked again now) and there's 156,401 members. Then I went to the member list and noticed that a huge percentage either didn't post at all, or had made very few posts at all. It made me wonder why bother joining if you're not going to bother posting?

I post quite a few threads all over the place in here, and a lot of them attract some quite strong arguments ...oooops...I mean debates...others die a death!....I've been up to my neck and alone in a thread where just about every other poster is pulling me to pieces, and sometimes I wish others who were just 'looking' and thinking I'm not getting involved with that, cos they'll pull me to pieces too would jump in, and say their two-penneth.

If someone seriously insults you or posts something really nasty, just report the post! The mods seem to be pretty quick to act in these circumstances.

Ok, ramble over!...sorry!

As a matter of interest one day (god I must have been bored), I noticed how many members were on the SF (just looked again now) and there's 156,401 members. Then I went to the member list and noticed that a huge percentage either didn't post at all, or had made very few posts at all. It made me wonder why bother joining if you're not going to bother posting?

5 posts and you get free advertising?

You get to feel who's the people who'd argue with you no matter the subject , try telling them the sky is blue and you'll get verbal vomit in reply and make out your the one making it up.

There are some nasty people on the Sheffield Forum, undoubtedly.

But you know the real reason for most of the sarcastic comments? It's because so many people try coming on here telling you that the sky is green.

Except their exact post is likely to say "Teh ski is gren".

-------------------

By the way, I saw your post about poppies but really suprised about the two racist posts you've mentioned as I didn't see them? I think you were generally provided a lot of information about places where actually you could in fact get poppies in S5 so to be fair you have to take that on the chin. Some of your responses to those people seemed a bit aggressive, like you were offended that they were contradicting you.

However, you are absolutely right about the racist or bluntly offensive/abusive posts - no need for them.

Can I also though just say about your complaint that those comments remained for 15 minutes - I would remember that the moderators are only 'volunteers' so are not necessarily scanning this forum every second of the day. 15 minutes seems like quite a quick time compared to some forums.

It isn't possible for us to see everything and deal with it instantly I'm afraid. As much as it'd be nice to be able to.

I do agree with this all mods on any forum work hard to keep things running good, i myself am an administrator on a small community gaming forum and i know how hard it is to see everything :thumbsup:

[quote=AndrewC;9325419

By the way, I saw your post about poppies but really suprised about the two racist posts you've mentioned as I didn't see them? I think you were generally provided a lot of information about places where actually you could in fact get poppies in S5 so to be fair you have to take that on the chin. Some of your responses to those people seemed a bit aggressive, like you were offended that they were contradicting you.

However, you are absolutely right about the racist or bluntly offensive/abusive posts - no need for them.

Can I also though just say about your complaint that those comments remained for 15 minutes - I would remember that the moderators are only 'volunteers' so are not necessarily scanning this forum every second of the day. 15 minutes seems like quite a quick time compared to some forums.

It was I believe the 3rd/4th post by someone with post figure in the 1000's. the post referred to the number of Asian and Afro's living on the estate hence lack of sales ?? The chap didn't use Asian/Afro words if you know what I mean.

Archived