Anyone agree this is terrible customer service?

ok so our next door neighbours came back from their honeymoon and checked their back garden parcel spot and bought my package round. It has been out for a week! So the couriers left my parcel in a neighbours back yard without leaving me a note:loopy:

How do these people have jobs:confused:

Yet another complaint letter for me to write-I seem to spend all my life doing it. I am starting to think online shopping is more hassle than its worth:mad:

Thats the courier fault and not the company you order from:huh:

If they leave it with a neighbour they should put a card through your letter box to let you know where they have left it. Me and my next door neighbour are always taking in each others parcels or deliveries and the drivers always put a card through the letter box

The seller is always the one under fire when this sort of thing happens, but buyers have to remember that claims for non-receipt of goods are very common when people just don't want to pay for things, and distance sellers have a hard time with this when they know the item is delivered.

Far too often, lazy postmen/couriers will not bother posting cards with useful information, or if they're running late will not try delivering at all but record on their system 'card left', and of course it's the distance seller who gets it in the neck. Also, unless the sellers charge huge amounts for shipping cost, the shipping insurance cover they have is not worth the effort of chasing Royal Mail or the couriers for compensation, so if they have to re-send items because of delivery errors, they get nothing back.

We send out a lot of mail order and receive dozens of 'not arrived' calls and emails each week. Very often it's either with a neighbour or back at their local sorting office.

In the OP's case it sounds as though the postie went to the wrong door, but the honest neighbour has chosen to keep the item rather than bring it round.

One good rule of thumb is to avoid the really cheap couriers - they're cheap because they work on the pay peanuts/get cheap workforce ethic. We receive stuff from people and often the drivers are clueless, don't understand their own paperwork and can barely communicate.

In the OP's case it sounds as though the postie went to the wrong door, but the honest neighbour has chosen to keep the item rather than bring it round

No they didn't: they were on honeymoon at the time of delivery and brought it round when they got back.

One of the things I hate most about couriers is their stupid handheld devices you have to sign. Clearly they all spent a fortune upgrading from paper pads so why can't even one of them use a combination of screen and stylus that allows to write something that doesn't like you have just given a pen to a 2 year old and let them scribble on it.

The seller is always the one under fire when this sort of thing happens, but buyers have to remember that claims for non-receipt of goods are very common when people just don't want to pay for things, and distance sellers have a hard time with this when they know the item is delivered.

Far too often, lazy postmen/couriers will not bother posting cards with useful information, or if they're running late will not try delivering at all but record on their system 'card left', and of course it's the distance seller who gets it in the neck. Also, unless the sellers charge huge amounts for shipping cost, the shipping insurance cover they have is not worth the effort of chasing Royal Mail or the couriers for compensation, so if they have to re-send items because of delivery errors, they get nothing back.

We send out a lot of mail order and receive dozens of 'not arrived' calls and emails each week. Very often it's either with a neighbour or back at their local sorting office.

In the OP's case it sounds as though the postie went to the wrong door, but the honest neighbour has chosen to keep the item rather than bring it round.

One good rule of thumb is to avoid the really cheap couriers - they're cheap because they work on the pay peanuts/get cheap workforce ethic. We receive stuff from people and often the drivers are clueless, don't understand their own paperwork and can barely communicate.

The contract is between the buyer and seller not the buyer and courier. If the seller chooses to use a poor courier company that is the sellers problem and it is nothing to do with the buyer.

The dishonest buyer idea is irrelevant. A good courier company will have the buyer sign for the item-giving you proof of delivery. Alternatively they might leave it with a neighbour or at the sorting office but they will have a record of where it was left and who signed for it. It isn't rocket science.

As far as I can see the delivery company are in the wrong..they should have delivered it to your house and got your signature...otherwise they should have put a card through your door and taken it back to their depot and maybe tried to deliver again...on the other hand if someone was hanging around your house and fraudulently signed for it then how would the driver know..?

They'd know because they should only allow the package to be signed for by someone who answers the door... If someone is 'hanging around' outside then unless they have a key and can put the package inside they shouldn't be allowed to sign for the package.

Some of the larger delivery companies are completely unreliable, we've had packages delivered to apparently random houses on nearby streets, thrown into the front yard, returned to the depot without an attempted delivery (but they claimed they'd tried) signed for by people unknown to us and left on the front step in the rain!

The best thing to do is complain, get the package sent again and make it clear to the retailer that they're using a poor delivery company who are contributing to a bad reputation for them.

Archived