Should we let Americans into a little secret?

It's always occured to me when a hurricane strikes in America, it wipes out whole communities, and it's very very distressing.

But,.... shouldn't someone tell them, wood probably isn't the best choice of building materials where there is a likelyhood of hurricanes and other adverse weather conditions?

Yep, I know bricks cost more, and roofs get blown off brick buildings..etc...But surely wood isn't a good choice, when you can feasibly lose everything!

Just a thought

If a wooden house collapses

1.it will inflict less damage

2.it can be rebuilt rapidly

3.wood is renewable,bricks are not

I think the people in the USA are quite aware of different building materials and techniques without the intervention of an amateur from Sheffield with little engineering knowledge.

Slightly off topic here, but I read the other day that slate roofs only became popular in this country after the Great Fire. Up 'til then, they tended to be thatch, which burns and spreads very rapidly. Wonder if this accounts for why we started using brick more than wood too?

I think the people in the USA are quite aware of different building materials and techniques without the intervention of an amateur from Sheffield with little engineering knowledge.

Inflict less damage?...Well yes, cos it's totalled. What about all the contents?...Treasured posessions...etc

Yep I suppose you're right again..They can be rebuilt rapidly..relatively!..So can a roof be replaced rapidly.

What's renewable got to do with it?

A brick house 'might' withstand a hurricane, depending on the strength of winds and how well it was built. But it probably won't fair too well if a large tree or car got thrown into it.

Then when it's been smashed up, what happens to all the bricks - each one becomes a little 100mph missile to pelt the surrounding area.

It will inflict less damage (injury) because the home owner & his family have fled knowing that his home is going to be destroyed by the wind LOL.

It can be rebuilt rapidly (only to be blown away again, as rapidly (by the Katrina, Sandy etc).

How do you renew wood? In actual fact, bricks can be reused. How are going to reuse a pile of splinters.? :hihi:

Inflict less damage?...Well yes, cos it's totalled. What about all the contents?...Treasured posessions...etc

Yep I suppose you're right again..They can be rebuilt rapidly..relatively!..So can a roof be replaced rapidly.

What's renewable got to do with it?

It looks like another lesson is needed;trees are renewable meaning wood is replaced.Bricks are fired from fossil fuels using clay,both finite in quantity.

It will inflict less damage (injury) because the home owner & his family have fled knowing that his home is going to be destroyed by the wind LOL.

It can be rebuilt rapidly (only to be blown away again, as rapidly (by the Katrina, Sandy etc).

How do you renew wood? In actual fact, bricks can be reused. How are going to reuse a pile of splinters.? :hihi:

You really look foolish when attempting flippancy -wood is a reneweable resource,and fallen timber members can be salvaged.Bricks may be salvaged but you clearly have little experience of chipping off mortar with a brick hammer.

It looks like another lesson is needed;trees are renewable meaning wood is replaced.Bricks are fired from fossil fuels using clay,both finite in quantity.

Did they not teach you at school that these trees that you speak of (an ever decreasing number) are the main thing on the planet for reducing the carbon foot-print. :rolleyes:Build an house of brick and you won`t have to do any reusing.

Archived