Should we let Americans into a little secret?

Did they not teach you at school that these trees that you speak of (an ever decreasing number) are the main thing on the planet for reducing the carbon foot-print. :rolleyes:Build an house of brick and you won`t have to do any reusing.

I went to a different school to you as we learnt your message in kindergarten,and plantation management and stewardship in secondary,and a degree in Ecology at MIT,Cambridge,MA

It just seems logical to me, that a brick built home will withstand more than a wooden structure (I accept that in California, it may be a different kettle of fish). It's not even so much the home itself, as has rightly been pointed out, it can be rebuilt fairly quickly. It's the possesions and the treasured memories and documets and the photograpgs...and trinkets. How can you replace them?

Someone said, About the bricks flying at 100mph.....sorry, but if I was in the cellar in my brick built home...Who cares!!!!!

As for the sustainability of brick compared to wood...who cares about that either...it's your home!!!!

At some point insurers will price the wooden homes out of ever affording it (except for the super rich).

Can I suggest you send your valuables to a storage depot for safety?You must take sustainabilty seriously-it was the selfish attitudes which led to global warming,climatic instability and the recent storms.

Can I suggest you send your valuables to a storage depot for safety?You must take sustainabilty seriously-it was the selfish attitudes which led to global warming,climatic instability and the recent storms.

What utter nonsense!!!!!...So you have to llive at home with all your valuables stashed in a vault somewhere? Get real!...Nobody is going to do that!...it's irrielevant about global warming (if you believe in it)...it's a home and you have to live in it!....Do you keep all your valuables in a vault in a bank?

There's lot of terraced brick houses in Pennsylvania cities, especially Philadelphia. That carries on into Maryland.

I've never seen any terraced houses in the US, you mean those that are linked together like in the UK, we have many two family houses but owned by one person, also a few semi detached also owned by one person. I wouldn't want to live with someone attached to my house now, did for many years in Southey Green though, thought nothing of it then as everyone I knew lived on the estates.

It just seems logical to me, that a brick built home will withstand more than a wooden structure (I accept that in California, it may be a different kettle of fish). It's not even so much the home itself, as has rightly been pointed out, it can be rebuilt fairly quickly. It's the possesions and the treasured memories and documets and the photograpgs...and trinkets. How can you replace them?

Someone said, About the bricks flying at 100mph.....sorry, but if I was in the cellar in my brick built home...Who cares!!!!!

As for the sustainability of brick compared to wood...who cares about that either...it's your home!!!!

At some point insurers will price the wooden homes out of ever affording it (except for the super rich).

It could be that with the ever present change in climate conditions it may come to the point where insurance companies will not insure. On the other hand the tornado belt.. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. have had a long history, and they also build in timber.

The key to timber is, ease, cost and speed.

I have earthquake insurance on my home. There's a deductible of about 35,000 dollars on it however which is understandable since i live in a part of the country where quakes are commonplace.

Because of the high deductible not that many people bother buying quake insurance. They argue that most homes will only suffer damage that can be repaired for less than 35,000 dollars which they'll have to pay from their own pockets anyway so why bother paying the premium in the first place.

It's a valid argument but the way I see it is that if my home, now worth around 500,000 dollars were to be structurally damaged to the extent that I was ordered to have it completely demolished then I'd be covered for the approximately 465,000 dollars to rebuild it to it's former size and standard after paying the 35 K from my own pocket

Saving around 450 dollars a year on quake insurance premiums doesnt therefore seem to make a lot of sense if you consider what could be at stake

What utter nonsense!!!!!...So you have to llive at home with all your valuables stashed in a vault somewhere? Get real!...Nobody is going to do that!...it's irrielevant about global warming (if you believe in it)...it's a home and you have to live in it!....Do you keep all your valuables in a vault in a bank?

If no one does this why are there such businesses expanding everywhere.Such valuables as I own I keep indoors but I am not bothered by photos etc.I am glad you think global warming is irrelevant,but surely no-one is foolish enough to dismiss it

This sort of arrogance and dare I say ignorance cost Mr Mitt the election recently.

It could be that with the ever present change in climate conditions it may come to the point where insurance companies will not insure. On the other hand the tornado belt.. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. have had a long history, and they also build in timber.

The key to timber is, ease, cost and speed.

Exactly,building materials reflect the availability of natural resources.We cut down many trees to launch the charcoal industry which fired the iron works before coal was mined extensively.

You're more likely to be shot and robbed than lose your house and valuables to a Hurricane for Christ's sake.:D

Archived