Should we let Americans into a little secret?

There's nothing wrong with Pete Morris post, he writes a lot of sense and is always polite, even if someone attacks or offends him.

I totally agree!

I think the problem here is that some people seem to analyse his posts word for word, and don't 'get' the tongue in cheek style of posting he uses to 'encourage' more people to post.

He always responds to posts no matter how hostile they are towards him - unlike some who make the first post on a thread and then disappear.

How many people would continue to come up with threads time and again to keep us all entertained like he does?

Sure, we don't all agree with some of his ideas and thoughts, but that is the same for every poster on here. It's no excuse to be offensive towards him or anyone else!

It's interesting though that no matter how much some people appear to disagree with most of the posts that PeteMorris makes, they still can't manage to prevent themselves from posting on his threads.

That, in my opinion, is the sort of poster that keeps this forum alive. :thumbsup:

I totally agree!

I think the problem here is that some people seem to analyse his posts word for word, and don't 'get' the tongue in cheek style of posting he uses to 'encourage' more people to post.

He always responds to posts no matter how hostile they are towards him - unlike some who make the first post on a thread and then disappear.

How many people would continue to come up with threads time and again to keep us all entertained like he does?

Sure, we don't all agree with some of his ideas and thoughts, but that is the same for every poster on here. It's no excuse to be offensive towards him or anyone else!

It's interesting though that no matter how much some people appear to disagree with most of the posts that PeteMorris makes, they still can't manage to prevent themselves from posting on his threads.

That, in my opinion, is the sort of poster that keeps this forum alive. :thumbsup:

Your exactly right, it seems to be the same people who attack him all the time, they have to wrong him and that is due to their pure envy. He ads some great topics to this forum. Keep going Pete.:thumbsup:

Pete, I don't mind this thread at all. It's something I always wondered about as a child and my questions were never answered to my satisfaction by the adults around me.

About the only brick building I was familiar with was this church, where my parents were married and where we went to mass. I'm sure there were others but I don't remember. Stone buildings? Not in the 'burbs. There were a few older adobe buildings in town which believe it or not, most of them were knocked down to put up cheap, modern construction, fast food restaurants or gas stations. I always wondered whose palms were greased for them to get permits to do that as most of those buildings were still in good shape, cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Have you ever seen or been inside Pasadena City hall Sierra? It's a beautiful bit of architecture in the Italian Renaissance style and was built in 1920 or thereabouts. The City spent about 100 million dollars in upgrading it against quakes about 6 years ago. They actually placed a system of rollers under the foundations which would enable the building to move with the motion of a quake.

I think the money spent was well worth it. It's often used as a location by movie companies. I saw them filming "A walk in the clouds" in the courtyard years ago.

No Harley, I sure haven't. Many lovely older buildings still survive, have been restored and maintained so future generations can enjoy them. Usually some greedy developer wants the land to build a strip mall or something. Disgusting.

Hmmm...Ok..I bow to your far superior intellect.

I might just add, didn't we build castles out of brick? They're still standing hundreds of years after they were built?...But I know nothing of course!

They were mostly made from stone, fashioned by professional stone cutters. It was more an art than just a trade. I lived in a 300 year old cottage in Cornwall at the Lizard made of stone blocks with a slate roof. The cottage was one of two which were attached. The owner of the other one had a massive oak in his yard, and was afraid of it falling on his place. So, he managed to get permission to take it down, against the wishes of the whole village. Along came a crew of four people, who were to hang on to the tree when it fell after a fifth man cut it down with a chainsaw. I decided to join in, while my wife stayed in the kitchen. Anyway, there we were hanging grimly on to a rope attached to an upper branch, when the chainsaw went through its work. Immediately after that the tree started falling, but wasn't going to give in easily , and finished up hitting my slate roof, and bouncing off into the yard. Total damage, two broken slates and nothing else. One of our wooden houses would have been matchwood. We don't go around cutting down major trees without the help of a forestry expert.

No Harley, I sure haven't. Many lovely older buildings still survive, have been restored and maintained so future generations can enjoy them. Usually some greedy developer wants the land to build a strip mall or something. Disgusting.
Living in New England is a delight to me. There are literally hundreds of beautiful houses dating from the late 17th century to the middle of the 19th lovingly maintained and almost all in wood. Many churches, especially Episcopalian, are made of brownstone, and along with stone walls and meadows you can imagine you are back in England, especially with names like Falmouth, Norwich, Truro. I won't mention Manchester, doesn't quite fill the bill, though it's almost as lively.

Hmmm...Ok..I bow to your far superior intellect.

I might just add, didn't we build castles out of brick? They're still standing hundreds of years after they were built?...But I know nothing of course!

I don't think you know nothing. I read your posts and see your concern. But its a concern based on an English assessment, which doesn't quite fit an American situation. What is the difference? Britons have usually been more static until recently. Our Grandfahers and some of our fathers learned a trade, often as apprentices, had a home in a terrace of an industrial city, where they worked till they retired and died. America was wide open for anybody who had the will to forge a home out of the frontier. Wood, especially in the East was more than plentiful. The rivers were often used to transport wood, and bricks don't float. Roofs are not usually made of slate, they're made of shingle, and may need replacing every twenty years or so. I had mine done last year. A wrecked wooden house can be cleared out quickly using a bulldozer, and people are usually able to salvage their belongings or get an insurance check. A hurricane like Sandy is rare, and the more frequent ones down south are handled by people who are familiar with it, and choose to live there no matter what. I once worked for a short while in Demopolis, Alabama. There was a trailer park there sitting up on a levee above the Black Warrior River. Every summer, the owners would have their trailers moved down to the river bank, then in the autumn moved back to the levee. When I dared to ask why they didn't just leave them on the levee and walk down to the riverside when they wanted to fish or swim, I came close to being tarred and feathered.:)

You never build brick houses in California unless you want a ton of the stuff coming down on your head during a quake.

A house built on a concrete slab with a wooden frame on the other hand is able to move with the rolling motion of a quake and perhaps with the exception of a loss of a few roof tiles able to withstand all but the most severe quakes

Garden walls are reinforced with steel re-bar in the centre to stop then toppling

Japan has more quakes and thousands of high rise apartment blocks are built from brick.

It's required by law that these buildings are quake proof and are built to move during them.

Didn't realise this thread would generate so much controversy or passion.

I concede that maybe I don't , or rather didn't understand the geology of America (why would I), or the availability of materials to build with.

However, as a Brit, when I see images like this, I think you might agree my assumptions in regard to wood as opposed to brick or stone.

Archived