Should we let Americans into a little secret?

Blimey!!!!!...A convert to civility!...I have to admit, at one point I did think you were on the forum, purely for the purpose of inflaming things, and trolling. But that opinion has changed. You're clearly 'thinking' about things you post now. You do add some insightful agrguments to a debate, albeit, a little bluntly. But hey, it's all part of lifes rich tapestry. If we all had the same personalities, then this forum for one, wouldn't be worth the time of day!

See Pete, miracles can happen!:hihi: I will try to be more diplomatic, aww! see what you have gone done now, who says nothing good happens when reading your stuff. This is gonna hurt from now on though, but I will follow by example.:thumbsup: PS, I can feel all the Anti Regattas queing up to give me a volley of their best.:hihi:

See Pete, miracles can happen!:hihi: I will try to be more diplomatic, aww! see what you have gone done now, who says nothing good happens when reading your stuff. This is gonna hurt from now on though, but I will follow by example.:thumbsup: PS, I can feel all the Anti Regattas queing up to give me a volley of their best.:hihi:

OK - Enough is enough! :rant:

Stop this mutual appreciation now :gag: and let's get back to normal! ;)

I get that thought all the time with the anti-petemorris's queuing up to give me a kicking. Like I said, it's all part of life's rich tapestry!

It won't stop me posting subjects that come to mind, controversial or not!

I get that thought all the time with the anti-petemorris's queuing up to give me a kicking. Like I said, it's all part of life's rich tapestry!

It won't stop me posting subjects that come to mind, controversial or not!

I'll keep a look out! just speak your mind like I always do, oops! don't you'll end up in the same trouble as I usually get into.:hihi:

I think that's probably a bit of a sweeping statement...Nobody else on earth?

I think you will find that we Brits pitch in too when things get rough and the chips are down....It's probably not unique to Brits or Americans either really. I think it's probably just human nature. We can all fight and squabble amongst ourselves, but in times of need, we pull together.

In regard to aid for Haiti, and other places. Yes it's true, probably nobody else helped more than America, but that might be more to do with having the funds to do it!

At the risk of opening wounds, can ask your honest opinion? (back on topic)

Given the same circumstances in terms of say perhaps a hurricane. Which would fare best? Brick or wood? (disregarding availability of materials, cost etc).

I have no doubt that brick would stand up to a hurricane better, and have stated so earlier. It is not as warm, which counts a lot in our winter climate, but has one other advantage, it doesn't burn. I still suspect more wood would be used in UK if it wasn't so scarce and expensive.

I have no doubt that brick would stand up to a hurricane better, and have stated so earlier. It is not as warm, which counts a lot in our winter climate, but has one other advantage, it doesn't burn. I still suspect more wood would be used in UK if it wasn't so scarce and expensive.

So based on your opininion, actually I wasn't far wrong in that brick would fare better? (disregarding cost and availability).

Actually, I wouldn't mind living in a wooden built house in the UK, as you say, it's a lot warmer (in winter) and nice and fresh in summer...And of course we're not subject to wild storms (although we do get the odd one (1987 hurricane).

What are to cost implications in the US, as opposed to the UK for timber? I remember when I was in Oklahoma, I passed a company which manufactured 'homes to go'. But I've no idea what they cost. Is it prohibitively expensive in the UK?

on 'Grand Designs' a couple of weeks ago they put up a wooden house on the Isle of Skye. If i recall correctly the cost was about £110K

It depends upon the size I suppose. But I'm guessing it was 'grand designs' it was something quite big and spectacular. So that doesn't seem to be an awful lot of money to me.

Archived