Why are communist leader so rich?

I was watching a program about the transfer of power in China. It appears that the outgoing leader Hu Jintao is worth an estimated $1.2 billion whilst his replacement Xi Jinping is worth an estimate mere $200 million. Presumably his time will come.

I just wondered how these sums fitted with the ideals of communism that the leaders claim to embrace?

The people don’t mind as long as their next door neighbour doesn’t have more than them, an equal share of nothing with a very small group of rich people at the top is far better than lots of rich people, lots of medium wealth people and some poor people at the bottom, according to some.

I was watching a program about the transfer of power in China. It appears that the outgoing leader Hu Jintao is worth an estimated $1.2 billion whilst his replacement Xi Jinping is worth an estimate mere $200 million. Presumably his time will come.

I just wondered how these sums fitted with the ideals of communism that the leaders claim to embrace?

As others have said China is not communist, I'd suggest that it was much more capitalist than we are here inn the UK.

They're rich because chinas an incredibly corrupt one party state where nothing happens without the CCP officials getting a cut. They keep the "plebs" sweet by shooting a few dozen of those who fail to pass the bribes up the food chain every year so they can look tough on corruption.

Don't knock it though, its pretty much the only thing holding them back from global economic dominance so long may it continue.

Well that and their current economy is geared towards selling their wares overseas.

China's the workshop of the world now - very export based.

The economy is still growing at an impressive rate, but they need to work on domestic demand - which means they need to start to tackle the massive wage gap that exists in the country.

So don't expect to have to learn to speak Chinese in the next couple of years, there is alot of stuff for them to sort out if they want to overtake America as the worlds number one economy.

Nothing new there. George Orwell hit it spot on in 1945:

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others". [Animal Farm]

In the old Soviet Union the leaders had their dachas and special shops (selling hard to get Western goods).

As others have said China is not communist, I'd suggest that it was much more capitalist than we are here inn the UK.

Certainly looks that way.

They're rich because chinas an incredibly corrupt one party state where nothing happens without the CCP officials getting a cut.

Sooooo..... why did the Soviet Union, a corrupt one party state... go bankrupt?

Ask our local well known Communist Arthur Scargill

Archived