George Entwistle - Clueless? [Update: He's resigned]

dvp82

When you consider the cost of a SKY package
I never do, can't see the point of it in these days of Freeview/Freesat, high-speed BB and BB-connected smart TVs. And there are only so many hours in the day anyway (I don't watch much TV at all, broadcast or not, as you probably guessed ;))

But hey, each to their own and all that.

In the UK, it does, for the 'state' television/radio broadcaster. Get used to it, or move :D

Personally, having experienced 'state' TV/radio broadcasters of many EU countries (as in: longer than a week or two during holidays, more like months and years), BBC (TV/radio) is an order of magnitude or three above all of them. That's including factoring in the dross-for-the-masses programs (Strictly, Eastenders, etc.).

Considering the cost of the UK license (relative to the French, Irish, Luxemburg, German equivalents - which all operate on the same basis) in that context, and the fact that there are no adverts either, it is an absolute bargain, with a fair bit of headroom left still.

A likely reason is that many foreign broadcasters 'import' a lot of BBC content, on the basis of its world-class quality, whereby foreign license fee payers effectively contribute to the running of the BBC - whereby, in turn, the license fee stays cheap in the UK. Think it over ;)

Actually I watch the BBC a lot and am happy to pay for it because I make so much use of its tv programmes - but I don't see why others should be forced to subsidise my viewing habits. I know plenty of people with tv's who have a licence and don't really watch BBC programs at all.

I never do, can't see the point of it in these days of Freeview/Freesat, high-speed BB and BB-connected smart TVs. And there are only so many hours in the day anyway (I don't watch much TV at all, broadcast or not, as you probably guessed ;))

But hey, each to their own and all that.

We stopped SKY a couiple of years ago...got to the point that whenever you turned it on it was an advert showing...

Actually I watch the BBC a lot and am happy to pay for it because I make so much use of its tv programmes - but I don't see why others should be forced to subsidise my viewing habits. I know plenty of people with tv's who have a licence and don't really watch BBC programs at all.
They are not (forced, or subsidising your viewing habits - which are irrelevant to the point).

Get it in your head once and for all: they have a TV, they pay the license. It's a binary condition. 0/1. Have TV, pay license. Don't have TV, don't pay license. End of. Simple as.

Just as simple as, say, car tax. Have car tax, can use road system. Don't have car tax, can't use road system. Whether you drive 90% motorway/10% city centre, or 10% motorway/90% city centre. Whether you drive 500 miles a day, or 500 yards a day. Doesn't matter.

Re-read the earlier posts if you must.

They are not (forced, or subsidising your viewing habits - which are irrelevant to the point).

Get it in your head once and for all: they have a TV, they pay the license. It's a binary condition. 0/1. Have TV, pay license. Don't have TV, don't pay license. End of. Simple as.

Just as simple as, say, car tax. Have car tax, can use road system. Don't have car tax, can't use road system. Whether you drive 90% motorway/10% city centre, or 10% motorway/90% city centre. Whether you drive 500 miles a day, or 500 yards a day. Doesn't matter.

Of course they are forced to do so. They need a licence to operate a television - the price of that licence is then inflated from what it needs to be in order to fund the BBC television programme production operation. If you want a television you have no choice but to buy the BBC's output.

Roads are an essential infrastructure in order to use one's car and hence is funded out of road tax (and general taxation). The BBC is not an essential infrastructure in order to use ones television.

That's comparing general taxation which is not ringfenced with a very specific tax for a very specific purpose, which would not be required if the subsidy of the BBC was not required.

Of course they are forced to do so.
No, since everybody who has a TV pays it. There is no choice. Arguing for a choice is pointless, as it would require doing away with the collection of Statutes, Rules & Regs, Orders, Acts, etc. which underpin national broadcasting and the BBC therein. Can you see that happening? Really?

That's why arguing about what constitutes the license fee in total, is meaningless/sterile.

And that's why I consider the license fee, and how much it is, as a binary choice.

That's comparing general taxation which is not ringfenced with a very specific tax for a very specific purpose, which would not be required if the subsidy of the BBC was not required.
It's illustrating a point, andy, nothing more. See the above.

Archived