George Entwistle - Clueless? [Update: He's resigned]

dvp82

If I was made redundant, I'd receive the statutory minimum payment. Anything else would be an abuse of public funds.

If I resigned, I'd get nothing.

I don't see why anyone else should be treated differently. Unless, of course, it was politically expedient to remove them from sight as quickly as possible.

Well quite. I've never worked in the public sector but when I worked for other people in the private sector the deal was much as you stated.

I do understand that people in high profile jobs get better deals than the rest of us in their contracts and whatever the rights and wrongs it's a fact of life.

But given the guy resigned because he'd dropped the ball I can't see any possible reason for giving him a penny more than the contractual sum. Personally I'd have leaned on him to walk out without recompense given he was around for less than two months.

Patten and the BBC Trust have some serious questions to answer.

If I was made redundant, I'd receive the statutory minimum payment. Anything else would be an abuse of public funds.

I don't see why anyone else should be treated differently. Unless, of course, it was politically expedient to remove them from sight as quickly as possible.

I made a **** up last week. Only a small one, misinterpreted a penalty rule, no big deal but I'm wondering whether or not I should resign and get a massive pay off.....or does that only work for people earning megabucks?

Which parties exactly have been hurt by his (lack of) actions?

He's resigned after the broadcast of a report, which at the time of broadcast was completely accurate (someone was accusing a senior tory of being a abuser), and that didn't overstep any laws, and was being complained about because they didn't name the accused person.

I really don't know what's going on with the world. Two weeks ago we were demanding to know immediately who exactly all these suspected paedos were, regardless of evidence to back up those claims, and this week we're demanding that people get fired for some of those claims being investigated on TV and the evidence subsequently being found to be lacking.

Did I write that the parties were hurt by Entwhistle?

Well quite. I've never worked in the public sector but when I worked for other people in the private sector the deal was much as you stated.

I do understand that people in high profile jobs get better deals than the rest of us in their contracts and whatever the rights and wrongs it's a fact of life.

But given the guy resigned because he'd dropped the ball I can't see any possible reason for giving him a penny more than the contractual sum. Personally I'd have leaned on him to walk out without recompense given he was around for less than two months.

Patten and the BBC Trust have some serious questions to answer.

People like Patten and Entwhistle are part of an elite who believe they can operate in a way that is unencumbered by normal standards-its a privileged club.

Crap at your job?

Been there 54 days?

Made the BBC look like a right bunch of incompetent plonkers?

Do you have bottomless, public funds to help yourself to?

Fancy walking away with £450,000 for getting it all oh so wrong (and a severance package worth a cool £1.3M)?

THE BBC HAS A JOB FOR YOU!

Which parties exactly have been hurt by his (lack of) actions?

He's resigned after the broadcast of a report, which at the time of broadcast was completely accurate (someone was accusing a senior tory of being a abuser), and that didn't overstep any laws, and was being complained about because they didn't name the accused person.

I really don't know what's going on with the world. Two weeks ago we were demanding to know immediately who exactly all these suspected paedos were, regardless of evidence to back up those claims, and this week we're demanding that people get fired for some of those claims being investigated on TV and the evidence subsequently being found to be lacking.

That really sums it up for me. Quite apart from the fact that a £450k salary for DG is insane, the reason he's had to resign is all the witless shrieking whipping up a crisis and refocusing public debate from Jimmy Savile and the wider problem of child abuse and child sexual abuse in society, to whether the director general of the BBC should have known something or not.

Employing someone at that salary and at that level can make it very, very expensive to sack them. Entwhistle was probably pushed by a nervous and malleable board, and he will have negotiated a well lubricated exit for playing the scapegoat.

If I was made redundant I would get nothing, same if I resigned. My contract says I can be "terminated at any time, with or without reason".

That's what it's like in other countries.

Archived