George Entwistle - Clueless? [Update: He's resigned]

dvp82

And you'd almost certainly lose, as the TV Licence by law is not there to pay for the right to watch BBC services, but to pay for the right to recieve any television broadcasts. That the Government has a legal agreement to then send most of that money directly to the BBC rather than into the treasury is besides the point.

when you put it like that the licence is even more ridiculous. I can see why I need a licence to drive a car (I have to prove I can drive in a responsible way), but why do I need one for a television?

you aren't forced to pay for it. You have chosen to pay for it. If you hate the service that much don't use it.

I am forced to pay for it if I want to watch any kind of live broadcast by other companies. The days of Mr Chumley-Warner introducing "The improving and serious program" are long gone, the bbc makes loads of populist stuff which for whatever reason lots of people seem to want to watch. Its regularly ahead of ITV in the ratings. Which is fine, but let those who want to watch pay for it via adverts instead of a compulsary licence fee regardless of what you want to watch. Or offer a mix of subscription for those who want the existing output advert free and one or two advertising supported channels for those who don't want the whole package.

I am forced to pay for it if I want to watch any kind of live broadcast by other companies. The days of Mr Chumley-Warner introducing "The improving and serious program" are long gone, the bbc makes loads of populist stuff which for whatever reason lots of people seem to want to watch. Its regularly ahead of ITV in the ratings. Which is fine, but let those who want to watch pay for it via adverts instead of a compulsary licence fee regardless of what you want to watch. Or offer a mix of subscription for those who want the existing output advert free and one or two advertising supported channels for those who don't want the whole package.

You will upset the head honcho,its Cholomley-Warner as per De Bretts:hihi:

I wrote that he should donate to the hurt parties but you foolishly inferred that this was a token of his liability.

Well forgive me, my mind reading skills are somewhat fallible.

Are you seriously suggesting that he should just nominate some random people who he's not caused any harm to and just give them a load of money?

I hope you do not go into law or philosophy as such lazy thinking will come back to bite you.

Before you accuse others of lazy thinking, you might want to ensure your views are clearly stated, otherwise mis-interpretations will occur. If you'd made it clear that you were talking complete nonsense to start with, I'd never had asked you who he had harmed as it would have been a waste of my time. For some reason (foolishly it now appears), I thought you had an actual point to made and was seeking clarification.

please do not twist my words to suit your version of events.

Er, what? :huh:

Well forgive me, my mind reading skills are somewhat fallible.

Are you seriously suggesting that he should just nominate some random people who he's not caused any harm to and just give them a load of money?

Before you accuse others of lazy thinking, you might want to ensure your views are clearly stated, otherwise mis-interpretations will occur. If you'd made it clear that you were talking complete nonsense to start with, I'd never had asked you who he had harmed as it would have been a waste of my time. For some reason (foolishly it now appears), I thought you had an actual point to made and was seeking clarification.

Er, what? :huh:

I had in mind a foundation for the victims,which would allocate funds on the basis of evidence provided.I would struggle to make things clear for every reader,as some scope for interpretation and the use of figurative modes of expression.If you want to write in the style of an insurance document that's fine,but you will find even fewer people want to read your input.I was n't accusing others by the way,simply you!

when you put it like that the licence is even more ridiculous. I can see why I need a licence to drive a car (I have to prove I can drive in a responsible way), but why do I need one for a television?

Because, in common with all other radio transmissions, you need to have permission to transmit or recieve those signals, and in most cases you require a paid for licence in order to get those permissions. Only in specific cases of a transmission being made licence exempt for recievers are you allowed to (purposfully) recieve those transmissions without permission (e.g. radio stations).

There are many things you need a licence in order to do something, but the licence is no measure of your ability to actually carry out that function.

Because, in common with all other radio transmissions, you need to have permission to transmit or recieve those signals, and in most cases you require a paid for licence in order to get those permissions. Only in specific cases of a transmission being made licence exempt for recievers are you allowed to (purposfully) recieve those transmissions without permission (e.g. radio stations).

There are many things you need a licence in order to do something, but the licence is no measure of your ability to actually carry out that function.

When you put it like this it seems a real bargain!

Unless they ever deny someone the licence to receive broadcasts, then the licence is utterly pointless because giving it to everyone who asks is exactly the same as no-one having a licence. Do they ever deny someone a licence?

Unless they ever deny someone the licence to receive broadcasts, then the licence is utterly pointless because giving it to everyone who asks is exactly the same as no-one having a licence. Do they ever deny someone a licence?

The whole licence deal is a sham and could be replaced by a levy on radio receivers and TVs,after all anyone buying a TV must intend to use it.A TV set in a room is hardly an exciting ornament.In addition a small increase in council tax would be hard to avoid for the freeloaders who never buy the licence.

The whole licence deal is a sham and could be replaced by a levy on radio receivers and TVs,after all anyone buying a TV must intend to use it.A TV set in a room is hardly an exciting ornament.In addition a small increase in council tax would be hard to avoid for the freeloaders who never buy the licence.

It is a levy on tv ownership. When you buy a TV you have to give your details so they can check you have a current licence.

Archived