And the Next Football boss to be sacked/resign is ..

The Manager

Dick Advocaat would not be a good fit for Sunderland, he is the sort of trainer that needs money to transform a squad. and he is indeed rather 'mercenary' in the sense that he doesn't hold down jobs very well, usually just staying for the contract. He will keep you up though if he is brought in as a caretaker.

Biggest problem at Sunderland of course is the lack of investment, especially in defense, I can't remember which bright spark thought investing in two central defenders that weren't good enough for Man U AND were over 30 was a good idea, but that is at the heart of the problem.

Sunderland are only looking for a manager until the summer, then they said they'd look more comprehensively for a new manager.

To be fair to Sunderland, they've been dire all season only picking up 2 home wins, and with their disjointed performance at the weekend they didn't have any choice but to sack Poyet.

Dick Advocaat would not be a good fit for Sunderland, he is the sort of trainer that needs money to transform a squad. and he is indeed rather 'mercenary' in the sense that he doesn't hold down jobs very well, usually just staying for the contract. He will keep you up though if he is brought in as a caretaker.

Biggest problem at Sunderland of course is the lack of investment, especially in defense, I can't remember which bright spark thought investing in two central defenders that weren't good enough for Man U AND were over 30 was a good idea, but that is at the heart of the problem.

You are right there in that he does not hold down jobs well,being in charge of 17 clubs/countrys since 1982 ,If i was Ellis Short i would not even consider putting him into the frame for the job.

It is indeed. John O'Shea is 34 next month and he has always been average at best, at this level. Wes Brown is 35.

If you just look at the squad they have you realise that any manager is going to struggle to keep them up. They need four or five good players, minimum.

You are right there in that he does not hold down jobs well,being in charge of 17 clubs/countrys since 1982 ,If i was Ellis Short i would not even consider putting him into the frame for the job.

Yes I was a bit tongue in cheek with bringing up Mr Steve 'Loyalty' Bruce. :)

We at the Lane were the first to enjoy his managerial talents but he didn't stick around long enough to create that much of an impression.

Problem is if you want a British manager you are restricted in terms of experience at the top flight.

Apparently Roy Keane was there on Saturday but probably only because he had an involvement with both clubs.

I'm not a big fan of people making returns anyway.

And as strictly speaking he's a foreigner he might not suit you anyway. :)

Out of the 19 current Premier League managers 12 are British, so it's not a like British managers don't get a look in at Premier League level.

In that case maybe they are crap, as not one has managed to win it since it began. :)

Yes, but not an English one, which is what my post at 227 said, didn't it?

It is after all the English Premier League isn't it? :)

Yea, but I put a post up saying that out of the 19 current managers 12 are British and you said that no one has managed to win the league so they must be rubbish. I made no reference to post 227.

Let's not split hairs over a misunderstanding though. I'm sure that if a certain Scot hadn't monopolised the title for so long an Englishman or two might have pick up the odd winning medal.

Yea, but I put a post up saying that out of the 19 current managers 12 are British and you said that no one has managed to win the league so they must be rubbish. I made no reference to post 227.

Let's not split hairs over a misunderstanding though. I'm sure that if a certain Scot hadn't monopolised the title for so long an Englishman or two might have pick up the odd winning medal.

No problem, the British/English/Scots thing is confusing at times and I'm easily confused these days! :)

The point is though that these things do seem to follow trends and bringing in a foreign manager/coach does seem popular at the moment.

The Premier League hasn't been particularly helpful to the national side either in terms of the number of English players or managers being given opportunities.

I read somewhere that in the first season of the Premier only 25% of players were foreign and that the rest were from Britain or Ireland.

Apparently those percentages are now reversed.

Not certain if that's true but the difference is significant.

Given that the national teams of all of the home teams plus Ireland weren't exactly pulling up trees prior to the changes, it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence for the future.