And the Next Football boss to be sacked/resign is ..

The Manager

No problem, the British/English/Scots thing is confusing at times and I'm easily confused these days! :)

The point is though that these things do seem to follow trends and bringing in a foreign manager/coach does seem popular at the moment.

The Premier League hasn't been particularly helpful to the national side either in terms of the number of English players or managers being given opportunities.

I read somewhere that in the first season of the Premier only 25% of players were foreign and that the rest were from Britain or Ireland.

Apparently those percentages are now reversed.

Not certain if that's true but the difference is significant.

Given that the national teams of all of the home teams plus Ireland weren't exactly pulling up trees prior to the changes, it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence for the future.

That stat doesn't bother me too much. In my opinion, the standards have risen in our top division to the extent that a lot of the journey men British players that used to be good enough to play in the top division now have to play in the league below it.

I think that the cream will always rise to the top.

The reason for British national teams drop of stature is down to other countries becoming a lot more organised, on and off the pitch, which has led to them narrowing the gap with us.

The reason for British national teams drop of stature is down to other countries becoming a lot more organised, on and off the pitch, which has led to them narrowing the gap with us.

Not quite following you with the ' narrowing the gap with us '.

In international footballing terms the following countries are more successful than England.

World Cups.

Brazil 5

Italy 4

Germany 4

Argentina 2

Uruguay 2

The same as England.

France 1

Spain 1

European cups.

Spain 3

West Germany 2

Germany 1

Italy 1

France 1

Czechoslovakia 1

Netherlands 1

Denmark 1

Greece 1

England 0

We are the ones needing to 'narrow the gap' and the way we are performing I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guest sibon
That stat doesn't bother me too much. In my opinion, the standards have risen in our top division to the extent that a lot of the journey men British players that used to be good enough to play in the top division now have to play in the league below it.

I think that the cream will always rise to the top.

It matters in a league with the financial clout to attract the best players from around the world. That is the Premier League's strength and its achilles heel.

The PL would be much better if it had more British (I choose that word carefully) players. It would be more exciting. More grounded in our culture and probably more stable. At the moment, players come and go, just for the cash. Teams are losing their identity and their links with communities.

We need foreign players, but we need to create opportunities for home-grown players to play against them. A stipulation that the PL squads must contain, say, nine British players would do the clubs and the country the world of good. Of course, they would still need to be good enough tho make the matchday squad.

It matters in a league with the financial clout to attract the best players from around the world. That is the Premier League's strength and its achilles heel.

The PL would be much better if it had more British (I choose that word carefully) players. It would be more exciting. More grounded in our culture and probably more stable. At the moment, players come and go, just for the cash. Teams are losing their identity and their links with communities.

We need foreign players, but we need to create opportunities for home-grown players to play against them. A stipulation that the PL squads must contain, say, nine British players would do the clubs and the country the world of good. Of course, they would still need to be good enough tho make the matchday squad.

I don't think that the Premier league would be improved by having more British journeymen playing in it.

I also think that a quota of homegrown players would lead to a lowering of standards in the Premier League. If our British players want to play in it they have to work hard to be good enough to get there.

I believe that part of our problem is that we mollycoddle our young footballers too much, and if they were going to be included in the squad because of their nationality as opposed to hard work, then there's less incentive for them to work hard to develop the skills and attitude needed to succeed.

This is an interesting article and makes a lot of sense.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFoQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.90min.com%2Fposts%2F488893-5-things-the-premier-league-could-learn-from-the-bundesliga&ei=2AYIVen8DoSY7gbY24HIDg&usg=AFQjCNEIWr22NCYKBkzhQGoBerJjq8SPlw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.ZGU

Published before Germany's latest success it shows their thinking is way ahead of ours.

The comment on the wage structure is interesting.

Think we might learn something from it? No, me neither.

With our lot it's all about the 'product' all about the revenue stream, sod the fans.

After all, when they've driven most of them away with the TV money involved they can always use CGI to create an 'atmosphere' for everyone at home watching on their arses.

Bit like canned laughter in a crap comedy show.

Not quite following you with the ' narrowing the gap with us '.

In international footballing terms the following countries are more successful than England.

World Cups.

Brazil 5

Italy 4

Germany 4

Argentina 2

Uruguay 2

The same as England.

France 1

Spain 1

European cups.

Spain 3

West Germany 2

Germany 1

Italy 1

France 1

Czechoslovakia 1

Netherlands 1

Denmark 1

Greece 1

England 0

We are the ones needing to 'narrow the gap' and the way we are performing I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was looking at England being a top 10 team, and the teams below us closing the gap.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 11:26 ----------

This is an interesting article and makes a lot of sense.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFoQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.90min.com%2Fposts%2F488893-5-things-the-premier-league-could-learn-from-the-bundesliga&ei=2AYIVen8DoSY7gbY24HIDg&usg=AFQjCNEIWr22NCYKBkzhQGoBerJjq8SPlw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.ZGU

Published before Germany's latest success it shows their thinking is way ahead of ours.

The comment on the wage structure is interesting.

Think we might learn something from it? No, me neither.

With our lot it's all about the 'product' all about the revenue stream, sod the fans.

After all, when they've driven most of them away with the TV money involved they can always use CGI to create an 'atmosphere' for everyone at home watching on their arses.

Bit like canned laughter in a crap comedy show.

I don't think that the German Model is one that we should look to follow. In their league you have one team that is financially so far ahead of the other teams that they can sign even their closest rivals star players.

It's lack of competition will start to hit soon with either the fans staying away or the clubs looking to increase the money that they can send on wages and players. Give me the Premier League every day where any team can beat any other team, and our competitive title race.

I'd have sympathy for the revenue stream argument if the clubs were profit making businesses looking to squeeze every ounce of profit out of their fans, but the reality is that it's not like that.

Every penny taken from the fans and more is put back into the club usually on transfer fees, signing on fees and wages, which is ironically what the majority of the fans want, for do they not almost always complain about their club not signing the quality players needed.

I was looking at England being a top 10 team, and the teams below us closing the gap.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 11:26 ----------

I don't think that the German Model is one that we should look to follow. In their league you have one team that is financially so far ahead of the other teams that they can sign even their closest rivals star players.

It's lack of competition will start to hit soon with either the fans staying away or the clubs looking to increase the money that they can send on wages and players. Give me the Premier League every day where any team can beat any other team, and our competitive title race.

I'd have sympathy for the revenue stream argument if the clubs were profit making businesses looking to squeeze every ounce of profit out of their fans, but the reality is that it's not like that.

Every penny taken from the fans and more is put back into the club usually on transfer fees, signing on fees and wages, which is ironically what the majority of the fans want, for do they not almost always complain about their club not signing the quality players needed.

Virtually all those teams listed could make a very good claim to be better international performers than England.

Particularly if you take into consideration progress to quarter finals and semi finals in international competitions.

In the entire history of international football England have played in precisely one final.

They managed that 49 years ago in England, in a 16 team tournament and without playing one game outside Wembley.

They were also the second best team in the final. I know that because a number of years ago I attended a lunch and talk at Abbeydale club and Alan Ball told us so.

How many teams in the Premier have a realistic chance of winning the title?

Obviously if you happen to support one of them everything will appear hunky dory but the rest of us are a bit more cynical about the whole thing.

The idea that the money goes back into the clubs is hilarious. :)

What do you think happens to money spent on transfer fees, signing on fees, agents fees and wages?

It doesn't benefit football, it benefits individuals with offshore accounts and top financial advisors.

We even had a manager who's dog had an offshore account!

Your theory that German football will somehow implode has nothing to back it up except your wishful thinking.

They are watching a better class of football at less expense amongst fellow fanatical fans and whilst the players are extremely well paid they aren't receiving the obscene amount of money our lot are.

There is more chance that people in this country will become disillusioned with our over hyped 'product'.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FUEFA_club_competition_records_and_statistics&ei=ZBkIVYf0HqKb7Aa2_4HQBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-_KoLlC3RMM4tllyBbTU-Bwb_Tg&bvm=bv.88198703,d.ZGU

Not exactly an overwhelming English presence amongst that lot.

Virtually all those teams listed could make a very good claim to be better international performers than England.

Particularly if you take into consideration progress to quarter finals and semi finals in international competitions.

In the entire history of international football England have played in precisely one final.

They managed that 49 years ago in England, in a 16 team tournament and without playing one game outside Wembley.

They were also the second best team in the final. I know that because a number of years ago I attended a lunch and talk at Abbeydale club and Alan Ball told us so.

How many teams in the Premier have a realistic chance of winning the title?

Obviously if you happen to support one of them everything will appear hunky dory but the rest of us are a bit more cynical about the whole thing.

The idea that the money goes back into the clubs is hilarious. :)

What do you think happens to money spent on transfer fees, signing on fees, agents fees and wages?

It doesn't benefit football, it benefits individuals with offshore accounts and top financial advisors.

We even had a manager who's dog had an offshore account!

Your theory that German football will somehow implode has nothing to back it up except your wishful thinking.

They are watching a better class of football at less expense amongst fellow fanatical fans and whilst the players are extremely well paid they aren't receiving the obscene amount of money our lot are.

There is more chance that people in this country will become disillusioned with our over hyped 'product'.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FUEFA_club_competition_records_and_statistics&ei=ZBkIVYf0HqKb7Aa2_4HQBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-_KoLlC3RMM4tllyBbTU-Bwb_Tg&bvm=bv.88198703,d.ZGU

Not exactly an overwhelming English presence amongst that lot.

I don't think that you're quite getting what I say, I think that we're a top 10 side not a world beating side, so I don't know why you want me to counter your argument that we not a world beating side.

As for the competitiveness of the Premier League, I'd say that currently there are 5 teams that could win the League. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool.

If the money that fans put into football doesn't get spent on signings and wages then where does the money go? When you look at the losses that the clubs make it certainly doesn't go into the owners pockets.

As for the German model - do you really want a league where you know before the season who's going to win? Do you really want a situation where your team does manage to put a decent challenge together, then the top team will then come in, and decimate your team by signing all your top players?