And the Next Football boss to be sacked/resign is ..

The Manager

I don't think that you're quite getting what I say, I think that we're a top 10 side not a world beating side, so I don't know why you want me to counter your argument that we not a world beating side.

As for the competitiveness of the Premier League, I'd say that currently there are 5 teams that could win the League. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool.

If the money that fans put into football doesn't get spent on signings and wages then where does the money go? When you look at the losses that the clubs make it certainly doesn't go into the owners pockets.

As for the German model - do you really want a league where you know before the season who's going to win? Do you really want a situation where your team does manage to put a decent challenge together, then the top team will then come in, and decimate your team by signing all your top players?

My point about the international situation is that England was the country that drew up the original rules of the game and have the original clubs and grounds here in Sheffield.

England has more professional clubs than most other countries we are third in the world and have nearly twice as many as Germany and well over twice as many as Italy, both of whom are far more successful than us.

England are underachievers and the people at the top don't care as long as the finances remain in place.

International success is something that the whole country can enjoy, club success is limited to the fans of the club concerned.

The population of England is over 53 million, Spain is 47 million, Argentina 41 million and Uruguay is 3.4 million.

You ask me do I want a league where it's a foregone conclusion who's going to win?

Why should I give a rats derriere who's going to win it?

I'm a Blade, I know we're not!

And the same applies to 99% of the rest of football supporters when it comes to their particular teams.

We follow our clubs and are either indifferent or downright hostile to all the rest.

The only unifying thing would be the national team, but it's crap and has been for most of my life, and I was 19 in 66. :(

I decided years ago to opt out of international football support other than having a soft spot for Ireland in their quest to go down fighting as gallant losers, whilst their fans have a laugh and don't break the place up.

• 3 weeks later...

What a disaster that turned out to be!

I've always thought of Dave Whelan as being one of the better chairmen with his knowledge of professional football and his general attitude, but he certainly made a major error on this one.

Having taken all the flack in appointing him because of the controversy at Cardiff with the texts it must have been a hard decision to make.

• 1 month later...

Been a few over the last 2 days.

Derby dispense with Steve Mclaren, Sheff Utd with Nigel Clough..and most surprising of all, Real Madrid decide Ancelotti not the man for next season.

Ancelotti won the Champions League, Copa del Rey, UEFA Super Cup in his first season in charge - so he had a trophy less season and paid the price!

Crazy world.

Pellegrini, City squad requires a major re haul and I am not sure if the city hierarchy think that he is the right person for the job.

A lot of people may not agree but if Ancelotti were to leave Madrid, City wouldn't really be a bad choice. He has won it with Chelsea and has personally said that he loves the EPL. Plus he won't be a bad choice for the next couple of years.

Dick Advocaat would not be a good fit for Sunderland, he is the sort of trainer that needs money to transform a squad. and he is indeed rather 'mercenary' in the sense that he doesn't hold down jobs very well, usually just staying for the contract. He will keep you up though if he is brought in as a caretaker.

Biggest problem at Sunderland of course is the lack of investment, especially in defense, I can't remember which bright spark thought investing in two central defenders that weren't good enough for Man U AND were over 30 was a good idea, but that is at the heart of the problem.

Just putting this back :) Who do you want coming in Scottcross?

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 10:44 ----------

Been a few over the last 2 days.

Derby dispense with Steve Mclaren, Sheff Utd with Nigel Clough..and most surprising of all, Real Madrid decide Ancelotti not the man for next season.

Ancelotti won the Champions League, Copa del Rey, UEFA Super Cup in his first season in charge - so he had a trophy less season and paid the price!

Crazy world.

Not that crazy if you are Real Madrid, all managers start with a clause that they can be sacked if they don't win anything. If you look over the past decade or so you will find that all managers who failed to win something got the sack. Might even go back further than that.

PS: Another international sacking that might interest some on here: Di Matteo was sacked by Schalke 04. They invested quite a bit and were looking to qualify for the Champions League but instead finished 6th, also quite a lot of arguing in the background, not a happy marriage and all that.

Edited by tzijlstra

Just putting this back :) Who do you want coming in Scottcross?

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 10:44 ----------

Not that crazy if you are Real Madrid, all managers start with a clause that they can be sacked if they don't win anything. If you look over the past decade or so you will find that all managers who failed to win something got the sack. Might even go back further than that.

PS: Another international sacking that might interest some on here: Di Matteo was sacked by Schalke 04. They invested quite a bit and were looking to qualify for the Champions League but instead finished 6th, also quite a lot of arguing in the background, not a happy marriage and all that.

Di Matteo = Legend.

A few years ago after Di Matteo was sacked by West Brom and before he managed Chelsea there was some rumours that he was coming to the lane to manage the Blades. The Blades were in the Championship looking for promotion back to the Premier League at the time.

Here's a thread discussing it, how times change.

Still, may be fans could one day demand their manager be given time to build if one season fails- after all, I doubt the fans called for Ancelotti to go.

As for Di Matteo- wouldn't surprise me if West Ham tried to get him...or Newcastle.