Solar Panels - would you buy them?

It wouldn't make that much difference. Any roof that new panels are going onto would be assessed for its condition initially. Secondly most systems have a top hung hinged system which gives you access.

Hinged panels. That might change my negativity about this if it could give the necessary access for roof inspection and repairs.

Solar panels - are they worth the money, it's been a few years now and I've noticed more and more people are having these fitted on their roofs - they look a right eyesore imo

Have they made a difference since they have been installed, it would be interesting to hear from those who have them:)

How much are they?

If I lived down south with a south facing roof it would be a reasonable investment, but because I live up north with a west facing roof it would be a worse investment than leaving the money in the bank. :(

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generating-energy/Getting-money-back/Solar-Energy-Calculator

The Solar Energy Calculator estimates the income and savings you could receive from the domestic Feed-In Tariff scheme which is available in England, Scotland and Wales, for eligible PV installations of up to 4kWp including new build.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a sales visit from Ultra Energy the other night. Cold-called, then a further 4 calls to confirm the same details as I'd already given - and they said it would be 'an hour, depending on how many questions you have' and that the caller 'would leave information with me'

After 2 and a half hours, I was nearly keeling over with hunger, as I hadn't eaten all day, and my visitor was wanting 20% of the cost (7k - 11k) to take away that night. He didn't mention 'cooling-off' periods, by the way.

On principle, I don't buy 'on the night' - and I'd said so to the original caller, and to the salesman - but when I stuck to my guns on this, he refused to leave his phone number, or to give me a contact number or email address, and he wouldn't leave the calculation he'd done either.

It would take about 10 years (not including any savings based on a reduced bill - so probably rather less) to repay the costs of installation.

When the tariff is reduced again in February, those calculations are much tougher - and I can't count on my house value rising by half the cost of installation if I sell in 5 years.

I could risk using the money I have set aside (to repay my mortgage capital),but with the employment market in its current dodgy state, that feels too risky for me.

I believe - from checking on the web - that he used the correct calculations, and that the price was fair, and that my roof would be suitable BUT how can you trust a firm that leaves no trace nor gives you a couple of days to think about it, or do some research?

• 3 months later...
I had a sales visit from Ultra Energy the other night. Cold-called, then a further 4 calls to confirm the same details as I'd already given - and they said it would be 'an hour, depending on how many questions you have' and that the caller 'would leave information with me'

After 2 and a half hours, I was nearly keeling over with hunger, as I hadn't eaten all day, and my visitor was wanting 20% of the cost (7k - 11k) to take away that night. He didn't mention 'cooling-off' periods, by the way.

On principle, I don't buy 'on the night' - and I'd said so to the original caller, and to the salesman - but when I stuck to my guns on this, he refused to leave his phone number, or to give me a contact number or email address, and he wouldn't leave the calculation he'd done either.

It would take about 10 years (not including any savings based on a reduced bill - so probably rather less) to repay the costs of installation.

When the tariff is reduced again in February, those calculations are much tougher - and I can't count on my house value rising by half the cost of installation if I sell in 5 years.

I could risk using the money I have set aside (to repay my mortgage capital),but with the employment market in its current dodgy state, that feels too risky for me.

I believe - from checking on the web - that he used the correct calculations, and that the price was fair, and that my roof would be suitable BUT how can you trust a firm that leaves no trace nor gives you a couple of days to think about it, or do some research?

Just a tip, do some research online on this company before signing up, there are a number of articles online and on other forums about a national company going by this name!

Additionally, make sure you get at least another 2 quotes from local suppliers. Depending on the size of your roof/panels used/type of roof - £7 - £11k is at the high end of prices for domestic properties.

A reputable company will always give you time to make your mind up and you should never sign on the night!

I think they're a pretty good investment, if anything generating your own energy helps to offset and cushion the constant price rises. This makes any calculation of payback time abit worthless.

FWIW on Monday I got an e-mail from my supplier saying my tariff was going to change, after I looked at it I noticed my price per unit of electricity was jumping 40% !!!

It doesn't take many of those price rises to make you think about generating your own energy with solar.

FWIW on Monday I got an e-mail from my supplier saying my tariff was going to change, after I looked at it I noticed my price per unit of electricity was jumping 40% !!!

It doesn't take many of those price rises to make you think about generating your own energy with solar.

Jeepers, 40%!! who are you with?

First utility - tarrif I was on was a pretty good deal, now it's not so great.

FWIW my standing charge has decreased to 13p a day and my price per unit will be 14.647p.

What are other people on?

I ask because I friggin hate trying to choose a tariff it's a complete nightmare, all those comparison sites just wind me up!

First utility - tarrif I was on was a pretty good deal, now it's not so great.

FWIW my standing charge has decreased to 13p a day and my price per unit will be 14.647p.

What are other people on?

I ask because I friggin hate trying to choose a tariff it's a complete nightmare, all those comparison sites just wind me up!

Far too many tariffs to trawl through individually, so I find it essential to use a comparison website ... I only use one site, maybe just one other site to confirm.

I'm in S8 and started on EDF Blue+Price tariff Oct 2012. This is fixed until April 2014

Gas: 3.402p per kwh, and daily Standing Charge 22p

Elect: 11.13p per kwh, and daily Standing Charge 14p

They alert you if another tariff (from any supplier) would save you more than £50 a year. No exit fees if you want to move. I doubt that exact tariff is still available, but they definitely have other fixed tariffs which are similar.

I had a survey for solar panels and my house is ideal, but I have decided not to bother because of the uncertainty of future structural damage.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 15:38 ----------

Also ...

I highly recommend Martin Lewis' website

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fantastic money saving advice, suggestions, answers to questions etc.

Archived