Recommend me a bicycle headlight

Becky wants the lamp to light up unlit roads, so one that does not flash would be more appropriate.

Becky, be prepared for conflicting information on lamps.

Here is what I have to say as a cyclist. Make sure you get an LED lamp. LED lamps use a lot less battery power than ordinary lamps, so the batteries last much longer. They are also very bright. Some ordinary lamps (non LED) have halogen bulbs. They are bright but go through batteries quickly.

Finally, if you (or someone you know) is able to fashion a bracket on to your handle-bars, here is what I would do. Go to Wilkos and buy a small LED torch (black rubber, currently £2.50). Fitting two of these side by side would be brilliant and would only cost you a fiver.

Flashing LED lamps are good for the back.

Yes, this is true. I myself only really cycle on well lit cycle paths and roads, so I don't need to light the road up as such. I meant that flashing lights are better for other road/cycle path users to see the cyclist, which is my primary concern :D

I'm sure that if a motorist had headlights that flashed on and off constantly they'd be getting stopped by police and made to get the fault fixed. Why should this be different for cyclists?

Cyclists are permitted to have flashing lights:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

(Taken from this website: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71)

Like RootsBooster said, if you have noticed the flashing lights, they have fulfilled their purpose :)

I'm sure that if a motorist had headlights that flashed on and off constantly they'd be getting stopped by police and made to get the fault fixed. Why should this be different for cyclists?

How much light do car headlights put out? How much light do flashing bike lights put out? There's your answer.

You must get really annoyed by car drivers using their indicators - they put out more light than bike lights.

There's no legal issue at all with flashing red or white lights on bikes, as long as the flash within the permitted repeats per minute.

Yeah, and while you're at it, pay some road tax!

All I wanted were some sensible answers about good cycle lights... :rolleyes::D I thought it would be rather optimistic!

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I've got LED lights, which are good for being seen by other road users but not for seeing the road in areas with no street lights. Unless I ride at a walking pace, and then what's the point?!

I'll pop down to Langsett Cycles tomorrow and ask them, I think.

All I wanted were some sensible answers about good cycle lights... :rolleyes::D I thought it would be rather optimistic!

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far. I've got LED lights, which are good for being seen by other road users but not for seeing the road in areas with no street lights. Unless I ride at a walking pace, and then what's the point?!

If that is your experience then you need (LED) lamps with wider heads which obviously cover a wider area.

You should know better.

Seriously, though, Squiggs might have some useful info when he sees the thread. Until then, why not have a look on the cycling forums? The mbr one sometimes has useful stuff.

The LED lamps I use, from Tesco, are double LED's and light up the terrain ahead for me fine ( I cycle at night through the woods and fields)

Cyclists are permitted to have flashing lights:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

(Taken from this website: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71)

Like RootsBooster said, if you have noticed the flashing lights, they have fulfilled their purpose :)

Who has all those reflectors.Most remove them on purchase and good pedals will not accept reflectors.Noddy has them on his bike but not Wiggins.

Archived