Don't forget our little birds folks!

I feed the birds all year, costs a fortune, but worth it!! I have squirrel proof feeders. My biggest grumble is the magpies, pigeons crows. I don't mind feeding them, but they are so greedy, so eat the lot, not leaving anything for the blackbirds and ground feeders. I invested in a 'cage' for the robins etc who are ground feeders, but the bigger birds like the blackbirds can't get in ....shame!

:loopy:

I feed the birds all year, costs a fortune, but worth it!! I have squirrel proof feeders. My biggest grumble is the magpies, pigeons crows. I don't mind feeding them, but they are so greedy, so eat the lot, not leaving anything for the blackbirds and ground feeders. I invested in a 'cage' for the robins etc who are ground feeders, but the bigger birds like the blackbirds can't get in ....shame!

Good idea the cage for the smaller birds, I often see the little ones sitting waiting while the Magpies and the Wood Pigeons we get around here scoff it all...greedy beggars!!..:)

Scousemouse please could you tell me where you got your cage to feed the Robins, I have the same problem with greedy Pigeons and Jackdaws and way to many Magpies grabbing all the mealworms first and poor Robins dont get a look in. A ground feeding cage would be brilliant. Many Thanks.

I am not saying that Robins don`t feed on the ground, but on my feeding station they feed from the feeders about 6ft up. (Meal worms or the wild bird seed). Magpies are a pain and fly at the feeders. Got a Nuthatch feeding yesterday which was interesting. The main visiters are coal tits. I have 6 different feeds in the hanging feeders.

I've had some birds visiting over the weekend, lovely to see, blue tits, Sparrows, Thrush..

Going to make sure our feeding station is full and there's some water for them..

As its going to freeze towards the end of the month, they'll be needing it..:)

Thanks for the reminder - for the last couple of years we've had a number of long tailed tits feeding in the garden as well as the above - and only a mile from the city centre.

If I had a camera, I would have recorded a blackbird using the squirrel (in my neighbours garden). It was genius - the squirrel was trying everything to get into the 'squirrel proof' bird feeder (and gaining some success, as they aren't stupid!) but with all the manoeuvrering was shaking feed onto the floor - where the blackbird was hoovering up. A fantastic sight of intelligence.

If I had a camera, I would have recorded a blackbird using the squirrel (in my neighbours garden). It was genius - the squirrel was trying everything to get into the 'squirrel proof' bird feeder (and gaining some success, as they aren't stupid!) but with all the manoeuvrering was shaking feed onto the floor - where the blackbird was hoovering up. A fantastic sight of intelligence.

I wish I could have seen that ash, always the same when you see something like that....no camera!

Archived