Help Housing benefit

Sim0n

I've recently come out of work and for the first time in my life require housing benefits. Today I received a letter stating that because I've got a 2 bedroomed flat above a shop and am not the sole carer of my two children (joint custody) the government can only pay me 60 pound per week towards my 340 pound monthly rent. I just can't help feeling a little p***** off that I pay my taxes and when I come out of work (which is a rarity) I get s*** on by A government that's run by complete set of arseholes. Is there anybody that could possibly offer me any advise regarding this situation ?

I've recently come out of work and for the first time in my life require housing benefits. Today I received a letter stating that because I've got a 2 bedroomed flat above a shop and am not the sole carer of my two children (joint custody) the government can only pay me 60 pound per week towards my 340 pound monthly rent. I just can't help feeling a little p***** off that I pay my taxes and when I come out of work (which is a rarity) I get s*** on by A government that's run by complete set of arseholes. Is there anybody that could possibly offer me any advise regarding this situation ?

appeal, think they may have got it wrong, or alternatively just rent it out on the quiet for cash.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

Ask if you have been awarded the 13 week un-restricted rent. This is awarded to anyone who could afford to pay the rent on a private rented property when they first moved in but now have to claim Housing Benefits. This means your full rent, minus any ineligible service charges, will be paid by Housing Benefit for the first 13 weeks of your claim before being restricted to the Local Housing Allowance limit for the area you live in. This was designed to give people time to either find a new job/alternative accommodation without falling in to rent arrears.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll ask about income support. As you'll probably realise I'm new to all this housing benefit/income support business. Unfortunately because I've never had to claim due to working I've had my head in the clouds with regards To what happens when I leave work. I'm a big believer in taking out what you put in but unfortunately that's not always the case as I have found out today lol.

Archived