Help Housing benefit

Sim0n

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone

They could offer you nothing, rather than £240 a month.

You could also start planning to move to a 1 bedroom flat.

And the children will sleep where exactly?

jb

The new housing benefit 'spare room' cuts don't allow for children staying over, only ones that live there full time.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The new housing benefit 'spare room' cuts don't allow for children staying over, only ones that live there full time.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

That's right. The parent to whom the child benefit is paid is (nearly always) the one who will get housing benefit to cover the necessary number of rooms. I suppose its similar to a working couple who split, and have to pay mortgage/rent on two properties. One may be able to afford an appropriately sized home for the family, and the other will possibly only be able to afford a small flat, especially if they are paying maintenance.

Mart is right though to advise getting advice about benefits and putting in a claim asap.

I've recently come out of work and for the first time in my life require housing benefits. Today I received a letter stating that because I've got a 2 bedroomed flat above a shop and am not the sole carer of my two children (joint custody) the government can only pay me 60 pound per week towards my 340 pound monthly rent. I just can't help feeling a little p***** off that I pay my taxes and when I come out of work (which is a rarity) I get s*** on by A government that's run by complete set of arseholes. Is there anybody that could possibly offer me any advise regarding this situation ?

You have my sympathy. You've just fallen foul of the new government rules regarding single people in 2 bedroom properties. I doubt an appeal will make any difference, but I do urge you to meet with your MP at his surgery to make your situation known, or at least write a letter. It's no consolation to know that thousands of people are in a mess because of this piece of legislation, but if enough people complain they might reconsider.

Practically speaking, as others have said, you could take in a lodger and put the kids up in a fold out bed at weekends, or move to a single bedroom place if you can find one.

But ultimately you need to concentrate on finding another job as soon as possible. Life on benefits is tough, it always has been, but it's about to get a whole lot tougher.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice, just going to have to expand my job search slightly and not be as picky with regards to positions lol. To tell the truth I was hoping to focus more on getting a job for life as opposed to rushing into one through necessity, but needs must.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know they can only take something like around fifteen percent extra off you for the extra room. Try CAB, or howells and get some proper advice. Good luck anyway, and hope everything works out well for you. It may be right, it works out a little under £25 a week, You may be able to get the amount down a bit more.

Ask if you have been awarded the 13 week un-restricted rent. This is awarded to anyone who could afford to pay the rent on a private rented property when they first moved in but now have to claim Housing Benefits. This means your full rent, minus any ineligible service charges, will be paid by Housing Benefit for the first 13 weeks of your claim before being restricted to the Local Housing Allowance limit for the area you live in. This was designed to give people time to either find a new job/alternative accommodation without falling in to rent arrears.

Check this out with the CAB or online if you can- I haven't heard of it, but it might be true.

There are also DHPs (Discretionary Housing Payments) - Ask for a form from Howden house, apply for hb/lha in the first place (although i think you already have). And also apply for DHPs too. These can top your hb/lha up to the amount you need.

It would be wise to look for 1 bed accommodation, it would also be worth asking to speak to the housing team at howden house as your essentially being put in a position where you could end up homeless (this should allow for you to get priority for council housing [although they may try to house you in the Private Rented Sector - after recent changes to the system]).

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 19:13 ----------

As far as I know they can only take something like around fifteen percent extra off you for the extra room. Try CAB, or howells and get some proper advice. Good luck anyway, and hope everything works out well for you. It may be right, it works out a little under £25 a week, You may be able to get the amount down a bit more.

14% for one room, and 25% for 2 rooms - but this is for social housing, where housing benefit is paid (not lha).

The way social housing rents are set, means that you lose more than the difference in rent between properties with different number of bedrooms!

An extra bedroom in social housing ups rents by 11-12% - but the bedroom tax reduces benefit by 14%.

2 extra bedrooms increase rent by ~22% but bedroom tax reduces benefit by 25%

Thanks for the advice, just going to have to expand my job search slightly and not be as picky with regards to positions lol. To tell the truth I was hoping to focus more on getting a job for life as opposed to rushing into one through necessity, but needs must.

Jobs for life are a thing of the past and you picked a hell of a time to come out of work. The new tory boy Condem housing rules are going to hurt many many innocent people over the coming years, but hey ho, they do not care as their mummies and daddies left them millions and lifted them above real life. They can just sit back and make others suffer.:(

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have just had a visit from my key worker, who put in for a discretionary payment for help with my 2 beroomed flat, it was accepted within a week. If I had failed, I would have had to pay just under 5 pounds a week because the 14% is a guideline, they will do a means test on everyone that asks for it. I hope that people get advice before claiming, and always appeal.. after all nothing ventured and all that.

Just saying that maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel x

Archived