Start-Stop Car Technology. I was always told otherwise.

Yeah I've been there before....My old mini (pre-BMW) :hihi::hihi:

I'm a heathen eh?

I don't understand why you got a car with start stop tech and then disabled it? Was the model you wanted not available without it? Or was it the problem you had at the junction you mention that put you off it?

I'm afraid I'm in the same camp as Loob on this issue! :)

You can disable it, but as I found out you have to do it every time you start the car. So I wrote a little software patch for the car that does it on a permanant basis.

The issue is not with the oil draining back into the sump.

because the oil pump is stpped, the oil pressure is zero, therefore the film strength of said oil collapses, thus causing premature wear to the bearing faces.

I thought I read somewhere, that 'some' manufacturers maintain the oil pressure electrically while the engine is not running? I think!!! :huh:

The issue is not with the oil draining back into the sump.

because the oil pump is stpped, the oil pressure is zero, therefore the film strength of said oil collapses, thus causing premature wear to the bearing faces.

And the manufacturers didn't think of this?

Or it's not expected to be significant within the lifetime of the vehicle?

Nah, it's the equivalent of a camel these days.

You know, a donkey designed by committee (boardroom, car designers, software programmers, car marketeers, supply chain managers, Gvt/supranational health/safety/crash/emissions/etc. regulations, etc, etc.) :hihi:

Call me a control freak if you will, but any feature, in any car, which interferes (by design) with the actual driving (engine, revs, clutch, brakes, etc, etc. - basically all that is involved with moving the lump from A to B, whether an inch or a 1000 miles) is an instant strike-out in my book. Where cars are concerned, I'm an absolute luddite these days :D

You don't want fuel injection, ABS, traction control, stability control, an ECU at all? How about the automatic choke, that's been standard for 15 years at least and alters the revs and timing...

And the manufacturers didn't think of this?

Or it's not expected to be significant within the lifetime of the vehicle?

Not significant within the lifetime of the warranty is the only concern to the manufacturer.

Stop/Start is nonsense, but it's visible nonsense and makes the tree huggers think the car companies are doing something.

It's the same with the power companies and windmills, pointless but noticable.

Not significant within the lifetime of the warranty is the only concern to the manufacturer.

Stop/Start is nonsense, but it's visible nonsense and makes the tree huggers think the car companies are doing something.

It's the same with the power companies and windmills, pointless but noticable.

Or perpetual motion!!!! :)

Shall I leave now? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

You don't want fuel injection, ABS, traction control, stability control, an ECU at all? How about the automatic choke, that's been standard for 15 years at least and alters the revs and timing...
In a word as in a hundred: no.

Failing that, as little as I can get away with (so, currently in the MX-5: injection/ignition with ECU, that's it. No ABS, no trac/stab/anything control, no power windows/mirrors/roof, no computer, no aircon or digital clim, no nothing...and I rather like it that way).

Give me discs over drums, mechanical (rather than electrical) power steering, etc. any day, for sure. Better nuts and bolts. Just not more electrics/electronics/sensors/'drive-for-you' aids.

But that's just me :)

EDIT - speaking of manual choke, I was reliably informed yesterday on the phone, that my great-aunt's 1988 Mk1 Micra is still flying fast - better than ever, actually, after I replaced the HT leads this summer. She'd been running on 3 legs for the past 2 or 3 years...but there was never any "limp mode" whilever the car ran on 3 legs, nor a distracting Xmas tree on the dash, nor any of those must-take-it-to-the-dealer-to-read-the-codes impediments, etc.

That's what I like most about 'dumb' cars: they'll take you there with their dying breath, rather than make you stop regardless for a right (or wrong!) 0 or 1. And won't stump either you (if you are mechnically minded/apt) or the AA/RAC guy at the roadside.

Archived